W208 - 320 v 230k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartan535

Car
Mercedes 190e 2.0
I used to have a CLK 320 and feel the need for another one. Anyone any views as to which from a "performance" view is better - from both engine and chassis. I know the 320 only has limited scope for additional work both on tuning and it's a heavy lump, but what about the 230k?

From a performance view I'd say the 320 still has the edge, but I see where you're coming from; potentially there's more scope for tuning the 230k.

The V6 has about 30bhp more and gets to 60mph about a second quicker; there's about 35Nm more torque.

Going by the W209, they're not a great performance car. - I think the ride (even with "AMG sport" suspension) is a little too wallowy and as a result I don't have a huge amount of confidence throwing it in to the corners. The ESP seems to have two modes: "I don't think you meant to do that so I'm cutting the power" (when it's on); and "you're on your own pal, I hope you like going sideways" when it's off.
Don't think that I don't like mine. It's a great GT cruiser and surges along the motorway in a pleasing manner; it just doesn't like twisty B roads. - I think I also need to get used to having lots of low-end torque and not high-end power (like a turbocharged engine), so I'm probably stomping the throttle more than I need to. When I squeeze it gently, it takes off from the lights.

Maybe someone with more experience of the W208 has something to offer?

Last edited:
That would be the ideal solution. - Still not much in the way of tuning headroom, but you don't really need it with the big V8 under the bonnet.

Again with respect to the W209 rather than W208; my friend bought a CLK55 cab for his wife, but says the same thing about the feeling of driving it. - It doesn't really bother them because he's got an M3 as his toy (in addition to a GTiR like mine and a 5-series company car), and his wife only drives it to-and-from work each day.

I was wondering if stiffening the ARBs would help.

W208 is lighter
And a lot better handling than the w209
as also we got a w209 clk280 sport
W208 clk 55 is a nippy car
And we went down to benz on the green 140 miles and an average of 30 mpg lol

Arguably C209 is better looking between the two but if it's the engine you're after, get the one you can afford to buy and keep.

Love the clean lines on the w208 amg type

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom