w208 CLK320 Gearbox Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rufus357

I have bought dipstick to check the auto box oil levels clk 320 (yr 2000).

When I put it in, it goes in and then hits something "springy" and I can push in a little further. Should I be measuring the level at the top without pushing the extra against the springiness?

Thanks

are you sure the "springyness" isnt in your dip tool? mine goes firmly to the correct position with no give.

My 320 is a 1998 year model which appears to have a different shift pattern from later cars. I don’t know which box mine has and the 722mm dipstick didn’t fit. What length dipstick should we all be using please?

My 320 is a 1998 year model which appears to have a different shift pattern from later cars. I don’t know which box mine has and the 722mm dipstick didn’t fit. What length dipstick should we all be using please?
The length doesn’t matter , there is a bump at the top of the Reading scale on the end of the dipstick . This bump locates itself above the sump fluid and allows the end part to touch the fluid at the correct level .
At least this is the case for the 5g and 7g gearboxes

The length doesn’t matter , there is a bump at the top of the Reading scale on the end of the dipstick . This bump locates itself above the sump fluid and allows the end part to touch the fluid at the correct level .
Also, the gearbox dipstick is not intended to left in the tube. After measurement remove it and replace the cap

The fluid needs to be up to temperature to get a correct reading and should be taken with the car on level ground. There is also a procedure that should be followed prior to checking the level.

The fluid needs to be up to temperature to get a correct reading and should be taken with the car on level ground. There is also a procedure that should be followed prior to checking the level.
And with engine running .

7G box on my CLK never had a dipstick and cannot be fitted with one.

7G box on my CLK never had a dipstick and cannot be fitted with one.
Well corrected buddy , must have had a brain glitch ;) . Especially has I’ve done 3+ services on each of my 5g and 7g boxes .

Might I make a small suggestion- may sound picky- but it's not "oil " in the gearbox its hydraulic fluid :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom