W208 front brake pad replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tacho d

Car
Mercedes Benz W209 CLK 220 CDI
Hi all, front pads are close to the limit on the clk. Time to change them before I kiss the discs goodbuy too. I have always changed them on previous cars, so decided to give these a go. Is it relatively easy on these? What is the procedeure?:confused:

Very easy just like any other car 35 to 40 mins each side you may need sensors if your light has come on or you break them when removing.

Yep its dead easy 30 mins a side max if you've done pads before and nothing seized. Be careful on your choice of pads some squeal there heads off even with anti squeal shims and dust like hell. I've had Ferodo DS2000, Green stuff and now on Pagid Pro, I think the Ferodo DS2000 were probably the best allrounder with no dust. Pagid pro are great but take a bit of warming up. The new Sparco pads developed in conjunction with AP racing are supposed to be awesome :thumb:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. fluid change was done at autotechnic my local independant. A bit expensive actually, in hindsight I should have done it myself with a bleeding kit. As for the pads, I have some Brembo ( or Mintex) on their way, hope the're ok.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. fluid change was done at autotechnic my local independant. A bit expensive actually, in hindsight I should have done it myself with a bleeding kit. As for the pads, I have some Brembo ( or Mintex) on their way, hope the're ok.

I've used the Brembo pads and they are good and low dust so good choice :thumb: Fluid change normally about £125 but easy to do yourself, I did mine and put in a higher spec fluid at the same time.

Hi folks, been flicking through w202 manual for some more info as they are similar, they specify replacing the guide pins which I thought was unusual. Threre is also mention of using threadlock. Has anybody else bothered?

Hi folks, been flicking through w202 manual for some more info as they are similar, they specify replacing the guide pins which I thought was unusual. Threre is also mention of using threadlock. Has anybody else bothered?

Guide pins come with some brands of pads, what are they saying you use threadlock on?

Brembo pads just arrived, no pins with them. There is mention of removing old threadlock from pins once removed, so assumed its standard practice to use it. I never used it on other cars and I dont like the stuff personally because it makes removal difficult. I think an allen key is necessary to remove pins. Is that right?

Loctite Blue is designed to be used with hand tools, the red stuff if for power tools.

Halfords sell Loctite Blue in a lipstick type dispenser. It's a tad pricey but easy to apply.

Thanks guys, easier than I thought. Brembo pads work very well after bedding in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom