W209 CLK 220 - Door Rattle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemecys

Car
CLK220
Hey guys,

Owned a CLK 220 for about a year now, runs like heaven, not had a single real issue with it, or a part replaced but i have only accounted like 7-8k miles.

Basically, sometime last year i was hit by an uninsured - untraceable driver... on the Motorway as we all came to a fast stop.

He ended up rear ending me, barely causing any damage just some pretty deep scratches, however I discovered my front windscreen was cracked from the top corner out, so i had to assume the force from the accident was passed on to my windscreen.

So fast forward to the last 6 months... the door rattle in my car has been getting worse and worse, its inconsistent and seems to vary but the passenger side sounds like two bottles of beer clinking sometimes at its worse.

My question to you gents is, because of the framework of the CLK and its pillarless design, do i have to worry about my bodywork being warped or affected by the accident, causing the rattling.

If so now that the MIB have finally come back to me I need to bring this up with my insurer and finally claim my repairs and have them look into this potential problem.

It's driving me mad. please help guys!!

I doubt that a low impact bump would cause any chassis or structural damage. When the CLK chassis was updated they looked at rigidity and I think 90 percent of the chassis was re-designed. The rattle could be anything from an exhaust heat shield to clinking beer bottles.

Its likely to just be the window mechanism needing adjusting. The nature of the pillarless design means that they are prone to rattling. My drivers side has started to do it but its not too bad unless on a rough road. It will probably need the door card removed to get at the mechanism to check/adjust it.

I doubt that a low impact bump would cause any chassis or structural damage. When the CLK chassis was updated they looked at rigidity and I think 90 percent of the chassis was re-designed. The rattle could be anything from an exhaust heat shield to clinking beer bottles.

Ahh fair enough, it only concerned me because of the cracked windscreen on top of it all, that appeared around the same time, but with no real entrance.
So i attribute it to the bump, the sound is coming from the interior of the car, and i removed all the things near or in the door or the boot, the only things left would be change, but thats a distinct sound.

Its likely to just be the window mechanism needing adjusting. The nature of the pillarless design means that they are prone to rattling. My drivers side has started to do it but its not too bad unless on a rough road. It will probably need the door card removed to get at the mechanism to check/adjust it.

I have read and heard a lot about this, I did check under my doors for those large bolts and they were solid, so i don't think its them but i do fear that the bolts on the interior of the door are perhaps loose.

Is there any documentation or information on this that i could follow somewhere? Or do i have to drop it off to the mechanic?

Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom