W209 glovebox and armrest storage lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

claggy001

Car
W209 CLK320 Elegance
Evening all,
Yet another question about my 'new' '04 CLK.
As the mornings and evenings get darker I've noticed that there is a light inside the centre armrest. However, all it emits is a sort of dim amber glow once the ignition is on. Is this right?
Also the glovebox light doesn't seem to be working - could it be anything as simple as a failed bulb and if so, how do I get the lens out to change the bulb? The handbook covers every bulb on the car except these two!
Thanks in advance

Yes, the lamp in the armrest is a feeble glow. It is an amber led soldered into the holder so can't be replaced, but I'm sure a brighter one could be soldered in. I have a few knocking about so i may give it a go. Check the glovebox light with both the lights on and when it is dark as it may require one or both of these conditions. Pretty sure it is just a lever out from one end to get at the bulb.

Last edited:
Evening all,
Yet another question about my 'new' '04 CLK.
As the mornings and evenings get darker I've noticed that there is a light inside the centre armrest. However, all it emits is a sort of dim amber glow once the ignition is on. Is this right?
Also the glovebox light doesn't seem to be working - could it be anything as simple as a failed bulb and if so, how do I get the lens out to change the bulb? The handbook covers every bulb on the car except these two!
Thanks in advance

My 03 CLK also has a very dim amber glow in the centre box. Glove box not so bad, so interested in answers for this one.

Neil

Thanks for the responses guys. Was just very surprised to find the armrest lamp was so feeble - thought something must be on its last legs!
Will try the 'dark & lights on' check for the glovebox lamp before I look at replacing the bulb.

Mark

The amber LEDs that MB fit are pretty useless. I had my car for several months before I realised the footwells were 'illuminated' and it was over a year before I saw that the interior door handles lit up.

I replaced some of them with brighter LEDs, see pic. (The camera's auto exposure makes them look a bit brighter than they actually are.)
_

Attachments

• P1020106-002.jpg
    P1020106-002.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 45
So I added a led today.
Unfortunately the only ones I had knocking around were some blue, rather chavvy ones, so they had to do.
The lamp just flicks out with a thumbnail and unplugs. There are a couple

View attachment 46614

View attachment 46615

View attachment 46616

of solder pads just handy to solder the wires on and job done.
There is only a tiny bit of room behind the lamp so it has to go in skew wiff but still puts out a decent amount of light.
Next time I'm near Maplin's I will get some low profile leds and a more appropriate colour that doesn't make it look like I' e mugged a Corsa driver.
Still, at least I can see what's in the armrest storage now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom