W209 transmission fluid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danik007

Car
CLK500 w209 (2005) V8 baby!
Hi there, I've recently bought a clk270 cdi 2005 with 138k on clock, it has mercedes service history since 30k until the last one and there is no mention about changing transmission fluid. What would be the advice? Change it or do not touch it? Gearbox works good with no kicks the only thing i could notice is a little kick when changind from P to R or D but isn't it supposed to be there?
This is my first car and i want to get advised from people with experience
Thanks a lot

Seems like most people say that's to change the oil and filter in the transmission is a good idea.
The gearboxes were supposed to be sealed for life with no maintenance needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like most people say that's to change the oil and filter in the transmission is a good idea.
The gearboxes were supposed to be sealed for life with no maintenance needed.

Sorry this is a little bit confusing. Is it a good idea to change the oil? And then you say gearboxes were supposed to be sealed with no maintenance needed.
So do you reckon I should change it or not?

Most people advocate regular changes for auto gearboxes, oil / fluid deteriorates with use /age . Plenty of other threads with more info on this point, take a look

For our slightly older W209 the official advice is to change fluid etc at 37500 miles. MB says not need to do again but I think most people would change it every 37500. The advice for our 2005 SLK which I think has pretty much the same gearbox is exactly the same.

Sorry this is a little bit confusing. Is it a good idea to change the oil? And then you say gearboxes were supposed to be sealed with no maintenance needed.

So do you reckon I should change it or not?

Originally the gearboxes were 'sealed for life' and Mercedes said no maintenance was needed (even the drain plug was deleted)
Then Mercedes said one oil change at 37000 miles and then no more after that was necessary.
I believe from what I have read only some cars got the oil service at the main dealer depending on what service plan you were on at the time.
People with gear change problems have resolved their issues with a transmission oil and filter change so it seems obvious that maintenance is required.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Originally the gearboxes were 'sealed for life' and Mercedes said no maintenance was needed (even the drain plug was deleted)
Then Mercedes said one oil change at 37000 miles and then no more after that was necessary.
I believe from what I have read only some cars got the oil service at the main dealer depending on what service plan you were on at the time.
People with gear change problems have resolved their issues with a transmission oil and filter change so it seems obvious that maintenance is required.
(Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks for relevant answer, i think i will take the bottom tray off to see how are the things in there, change the filters and refill it back without a complete flush of oil

Thanks GP801 for your experienced story

Last edited:
Had this on my W203, many posts here regarding changing fluid, bought my self a kit from MB Newcastle and changed fluid and filter.
Old stuff looked pretty manky, now changes seem smoother and I know it's been done.
If you're unsure I would recommend changing it.

5-g should have been changed at 35/36k. If the dipstick cover is red then it's likely to have been done.

Sealed-for-life is a con, any oil subject to repeated heating and cooling will break down over time.

Mine was done at 37k, I'll be doing at again next year around 77k.

Danik, I forgot to mention you should get yourself a transmission dipstick

I've bought an infrared thermometer from ebay, 15 quid, you point at the pan to check when the fluid is 80 degrees

Thanks everyone, ordered a dipstick to see the state of fluid and after that will make a decision. Got a long journey to do soon and to avoid any unexpected problems will do it afterwards, but I'm more likely to get some maintenance on it cuz i want it to work properly for next couple of years

Hello

Have done my clk twice, pretty straight forward job as long as you are semi competent and take your time. Take time to look at the link other guys have posted, very much worth doing.

I can't see them either, is it because it's an old post?

Photobucket now have restrictions in place re public posting of photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom