W210 E55 £127k New??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I asked a few questions about the specification, the price when new, the slumped engine, how long he had actually owned it etc, no response and my questions seem to have been deleted!

Gurantee no one will bid above and it will be relisted. Or often you get a retracted bid in these cases.
So obvious whats going on here.

I appear to have been blocked by the seller so I cannot ask him any more difficult questions! Perhaps one or two others could ask him for some clarity?? :)

Ebay never do anything about shill bidding. I know a trader in there that does it every single day on several cars in the most obvious way. He sells A LOT of cars per month.
They have been doing it for years and they have not been stopped.
Its such a shame its allowed.

Ebay never do anything about shill bidding. I know a trader in there that does it every single day on several cars in the most obvious way. He sells A LOT of cars per month.
They have been doing it for years and they have not been stopped.
Its such a shame its allowed.

Why would they? The more it sells for, the more revenues they get.

If you always bid to the maximum you're willing to spend, shill bidding is not an issue either:

- If you're genuinely outbid, you couldn't afford the item in the first place.

- If you're outbid because of shill bidding and item doesn't genuinely sell, the seller loses. If it does sell to a genuine buyer who was willing to pay more, even with shill bidding in place, again it means you cannot afford it.

- If you win the item, with shill bidding or without, then you paid what you originally planned to spend on the item. All good again.

- If you're genuinely outbid, you couldn't afford the item in the first place.

Not necessarily.

What you are willing to pay for something, which is your perceived value of it, is not necessarily the same as not being able to afford it.

Not necessarily.

What you are willing to pay for something, which is your perceived value of it, is not necessarily the same as not being able to afford it.

Perhaps, not the best wording on my part but I hope it makes sense when read in context with "If you always bid to the maximum you're willing to spend".

Perhaps, not the best wording on my part but I hope it makes sense when read in context with "If you always bid to the maximum you're willing to spend".

I think the most important point is being missed - I still may pay more than I could have done.

Example ... A car is at £500 and I am willing to pay £1k max

A genuine bidder bids it to their max of £650 but a shill bidder takes it to £950 I will have paid £300 more than I could have done if no shill bidding is taking place.
It is that which costs us when it happens.

I think the most important point is being missed - I still may pay more than I could have done.

A genuine bidder bids it to their max of £650 but a shill bidder takes it to £950 I will have paid £300 more than I could have done if no shill bidding is taking place.

Just bid what you are prepared to pay, if you get outbid it doesn't mater who by, move to the next and try your luck on another.
If you are not happy going up against other bidders stick to the classified adverts!

I find the most annoying thing with ebay is a seller cannot leave negative feedback! You can leave a few choice words but it still comes up as good if you don't read through it all! This is why I now accept any decent offer for cash and end the item early, I could hold out for a better price only to have the winning bidder not even bother to contact me!

Nothing is being missed here. As JamesFuller has said, just bid what you're prepared to pay for it, not what you think it might or should end up at. After all, the highest bid always wins.

I don't think I am gettng my point across to well here.
Apart from anything else it is illegal.

You guys must have money to burn if you agree with it.

I do buy a shed load on ebay though so maybe it bothers me more.

Nothing is being missed here. As JamesFuller has said, just bid what you're prepared to pay for it, not what you think it might or should end up at. After all, the highest bid always wins.

Its not a case of what it 'might' end up at - that is a price is will end up at if there is no shill bidding going on.

I don't think I am gettng my point across to well here.
Apart from anything else it is illegal.

You guys must have money to burn if you agree with it.

I do buy a shed load on ebay though so maybe it bothers me more.

Your point is clear. You're willing to spend £1k on a car but want to pay as less as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

A seller wants to sell his item for as much as possible and willingly advertises it for less to attract bargain hunters who want to pay as less as possible. He then helps the item sell for its real value, making said bargain hunters pay the full price they were willing to part with in the first place. I see nothing wrong with that either.

Your point is clear. You're willing to spend £1k on a car but want to pay as less as possible. Nothing wrong with that.

A seller wants to sell his item for as much as possible and willingly advertises it for less to attract bargain hunters who want to pay as less as possible. He then helps the item sell for its real value, making said bargain hunters pay the full price they were willing to part with in the first place. I see nothing wrong with that either.

This is really interesting ... Do others agree with this way of looking at it?
I am astonished people are prepared to conned like that. Life will go on of course :)

This is really interesting ... Do others agree with this way of looking at it?
I am astonished people are prepared to conned like that. Life will go on of course :)

Well, if you don't like how eBay works, why use it?

No, this isn't how eBay is supposed to work.

If sellers aren't prepared to let their items sell for genuine bid amounts they should either set a reserve price or not use an auction format listing.

This isn't matter of opinion. Sorry Alx but you're completely wrong here.

No, this isn't how eBay is supposed to work.

If sellers aren't prepared to let their items sell for genuine bid amounts they should either set a reserve price or not use an auction format listing.

This isn't matter of opinion. Sorry Alx but you're completely wrong here.

Will, you're talking about rules and how it should be, I understand that. I describe an every day situation how it happens in real life.

I'm with Watch, it's a con!

But ultimately, as Alx says, we've got a choice - don't bid!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom