W210 Key (blade) not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark_le_b

Car
2006 W211 E63 AMG
Apologies if this is posted in wrong section!

I recently had an issue with flat battery, but key blade wouldn't open the drivers door.

Had to resort to professional breaker to get into car to get to battery.

The blade has worked previously as not first time I've had a flat (car is parked up a lot).

As I don't know much about how the blade works, is this an electronic problem, or is the blade more mechanical?? Is it worth me taking off door panel to see if something is disconnected/un-hooked??

Any ideas?

Thanks

With the panel off, you won’t be able to see anything unless you remove the door lock. If the below doesn’t work then you can remove the door lock without the need to remove the inner door panel, an example of a W202 pictured below… not sure if a W210 is removed the same way?

It’s highly likely that you have a seized lock barrel in the door handle, put the straw from a WD40 or penetrating oil inside the key hole and flood the lock, work the key in the door, repeat every hour.

It’s common for unused locks to seize up so check your boot lock as well.

Dec

attachment.php

Last edited:
It’s highly likely that you have a seized lock barrel in the door handle, put the straw from a WD40 or penetrating oil inside the key hole and flood the lock, work the key in the door, repeat every hour.

And once you've got it working, spray some graphite dust into the lock (available from any good locksmith) to keep it lubricated for future use ;)

With the panel off, you won’t be able to see anything unless you remove the door lock. If the below doesn’t work then you can remove the door lock without the need to remove the inner door panel, an example of a W202 pictured below… not sure if a W210 is removed the dame way?

Dec

attachment.php

The blade does turn in the lock, it just doesn't unlock the car/pop the button up.

So not sure its seized?

Not seized then, you will have to get the handle part, as illustrated above, off.
Check that the rod… bottom left in photo… is undamaged and that it enters a slot in the door lock when the handle bit is put back into the door.

When you have the handle bit off, you will see that when the key is turned in the lock, the rod also turns, it’s the end of the rod, when it’s in the lock that unlocks the door.

Again, I’m not sure if your handle comes off in the same way as is pictured.

Dec

Not seized then, you will have to get the handle part, as illustrated above, off.
Check that the rod… bottom left in photo… is undamaged and that it enters a slot in the door lock when the handle bit is put back into the door.

When you have the handle bit off, you will see that when the key is turned in the lock, the rod also turns, it’s the end of the rod, when it’s in the lock that unlocks the door.

Again, I’m not sure if your handle comes off in the same way as is pictured.

Dec

Thanks for that, I will have a play around to see how it comes apart and go from there.
Appreciate the answers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom