W210 mirrors revisited.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tron

Car
S203 220CDI.
Last year I had a lot of difficulty attempting to fit a pair of folding W210 mirrors to my W202, eventually repairing the 202 units and leaving the 210 ones in pieces. The current 202 has very poor frames to its non folding mirrors so I am tempted to try again. I fitted the seat wiring into the passenger's door and took the opportunity to set in a pair for the indicator and a pair for the motor. The biggest problem was the reversed vertical sense of the motors.
These plug into the motor mechanism and the contacts are moulded in. The vertical and horizontal motors are fitted to a common moulded contact so the polarity of the vertical motor cannot be reversed and it needs to be.
with the motors removed, I looked at the back of the moulding. Dead centre of the moulding, above the connector, I drilled a 2mm hole and then cut the contact in half with a fretsaw throught the hole. I now have four contacts and three connections. The new contact to what was the common connection is now to be soldered to one of the four memory contacts using a fine wire. I now have four connections to drive two motors and contacts leaving the motor block to operate them. Connecting the two wires to the vertical motor in the opposite phase should now allow the switch to work the mirror in the correct sense. Tomorrow I shallmake the new mirror loom and start working out how I am going to connect it all together...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom