W210 temperature doesn't raise much

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

M.A.94

Car
2001 Mercedes E320 CDI (W210) OM613
Right so I've noticed my w210s temperature doesn't raise much. There has been times where I've had the guage upto 80-90 (which to me seems right) but for the majority of the time the max I'm getting is around 60 (see attached image).

I have taken the thermostat out of the equation since there has been the rare times the temp has gotten up to 80-90 (feel free correct me if I'm mistaken lol).

So whats the deal? If it helps my car is a 2001 E320 CDI

Thanks

Thermostat is sticking open at times, but not all the time.

They are crap and so better to replace and go from there

20170114_204705.jpg

Forgot to attach image.

Thermostat is sticking open at times, but not all the time.

They are crap and so better to replace and go from there

Cheers bud. I will get this done in the coming week. Just curious what impact would this have (if any) to a car if replacing is delayed. It's just that my car has been like this for around a year now so wondering if I've potentially messed anything else up

Also would you get the thermostat from euros or dealers?

Cheers bud. I will get this done in the coming week. Just curious what impact would this have (if any) to a car if replacing is delayed. It's just that my car has been like this for around a year now so wondering if I've potentially messed anything else up

Not changing the thermostat won't impact on the car except you are using more fuel than necessary when the engine doesn't come up to temperature.

I'd get the new one from the dealer. You have a very good one for parts in Newcastle.

Not changing the thermostat won't impact on the car except you are using more fuel than necessary when the engine doesn't come up to temperature.

I'd get the new one from the dealer. You have a very good one for parts in Newcastle.

Brilliant thank you :)

Right so I've noticed my w210s temperature doesn't raise much. There has been times where I've had the guage upto 80-90 (which to me seems right) but for the majority of the time the max I'm getting is around 60 (see attached image).

I have taken the thermostat out of the equation since there has been the rare times the temp has gotten up to 80-90 (feel free correct me if I'm mistaken lol).

So whats the deal? If it helps my car is a 2001 E320 CDI

Thanks

Stats fail open, so you'll only hit normal temp. of 90C after a while if stationary, like when stuck in traffic.
On the open road, it's over-cooling to 60C.

As said, not a problem other than wasted fuel... so a big thing with the om613 that guzzles it when cold.

Ive got a brand new thermostat sat in a box on my dining room table. Been there for 2 months now! On cold icy mornings its struggled to hit 40C, so my solution was to put cardboard over the rad grill for now, until the weather is reasonable enough to warrant me going outside to change it :bannana:! Def helps, but my stat really needs changing :wallbash:

Running an engine below designed temperature causes wear to the cylinder bores.

Most engine wear occurs when an engine is cold.

So get it attended to earlier than later especially in cold climates:rolleyes:

I'm having the same problem with my 2001 S210 E320 CDi - New stat is the way forward (Had this problem on an old SAAB) new stat cures it most times!

As mentioned above cold oil does not work as well as oil at temp so more wear...

One other option may be that the temp sensor for the electric fan is not working - but I'm new (only 3 weeks!) to MB E320's (and MBClub) so not sure if they have this kind of setup.

Either way new thermostat first!

I remember the good old days when all you did was blanked off the front grill :D

Turns out I was supplied the petrol stat not the diesel one with it's housing! But in the mean time I seem to have disturbed the fuel lines near the thermostat housing while taking it off and now have large amounts of air in the pipe after the filter and she won't start... Grrrrrrr.:wallbash:

New pipes required???

Charge up the battery and be prepared for it to go flat again! It should purge itself out, provided more isn't getting in. If the pipes are old/brown/brittle then replace them

New stat in yesterday and sits around 90C most of the time. Heats up pretty quick now! Think fuel issue is somewhere down the line towards the tank - Looks like a wet pavement job!

Replaced mine today, and as mentioned, the fuel pipes are very brittle! Thankfully, Drayton Mercedes in Wolverhampton had the pipe I needed on the shelf. New pipe fitted and all good now. I would recommend getting the pipes when you order the stat as they will more than likely be old and brittle and a breakdown waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom