W210 worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tmc

Car
Ford
I need a large 4 door saloon and I like the idea of an E Class. But a new one is too expensive. The W124 is a little too old now and also costs more generally than the W210. I like the way the W210 looks. I used not to like it but after all these years I think it looks better now somehow. I know, it's strange.

But if you search the web the W210 has a very bad reputation. Is it all justified?

It's a bit confusing because posts from around 2007-2011 talk really bad about the W210. But newer posts from 2014 and up seem to be more forgiving.

So what is the truth? Should I even consider a W210 or am I better forgetting about it and going with another large saloon from another marque?

I'm not interested in FWD cars. I would be OK with AWD but they normally cost a lot. I prefer RWD though.

Thanks.

The truth is that any 210 is now a 'project' that will cost much, in terms of DIY time or cash, often both.

Only mad folk have them...

Having just had 2 w210's in succession I don't feel as if I'm mad.

Buy sensibly, if it has rust that is not just surface best avoid like the plague

Service history to ensure it has been looked after

A quarter of a million cars a year tells you that the E class is a good car. That's the annual worldwide sales.

Fly into most airports of the world and you'll see E class taxis with insane 200,000+ mileages waiting to pick you up. These cars are run on a tight budget - if they weren't reliable, their drivers wouldn't use them.

BUT - and here's the BUT: you need to find a decent used car, and with anything of this age & mileage it's all about leveraging the experience of someone who can look around a car, and then keeping the thing maintained after you've bought it

Would a Honda or Toyota be cheaper and as reliable? Certainly. Would they give the same pleasure to drive and own - No.

The Internet gives a floor to everybody's bad experience with life and cars, but for most Mercedes (and Honda and Toyota) owning folk, life isn't so bad.

W210 worth it?

100% yes, provided rust hasn't got hold of it. I also think you could spend a long time looking for the right car at this stage, most from what I've noticed seem to have rust issues but some of those were only cosmetic like front wheel arches.

Bide your time finding the right car and you'll be on a winner.

Fantastic car if you find one without rust...you will not find one without rust.

Thanks everybody for the replies so far.

A quarter of a million cars a year tells you that the E class is a good car. That's the annual worldwide sales.

Fly into most airports of the world and you'll see E class taxis with insane 200,000+ mileages waiting to pick you up. These cars are run on a tight budget - if they weren't reliable, their drivers wouldn't use them.

BUT - and here's the BUT: you need to find a decent used car, and with anything of this age & mileage it's all about leveraging the experience of someone who can look around a car, and then keeping the thing maintained after you've bought it

Would a Honda or Toyota be cheaper and as reliable? Certainly. Would they give the same pleasure to drive and own - No.

The Internet gives a floor to everybody's bad experience with life and cars, but for most Mercedes (and Honda and Toyota) owning folk, life isn't so bad.

Sure. The E Class is a good car but we are talking only about the W210. Are there still W210 taxis at this point?

And a as far as I understand, engine and mechanics were never the biggest problem. I'm sure they would run 200k miles no problem. The W210 problems seem to be electrical and very bad rust.

What is even more scary is that I have never seen a car with such a long list of notorious problems in their Wikipedia page as the W210. This must show they are really common right?

And are you saying the W210 is as reliable as a Toyota or Honda? Because I would think if it was, it wouldn't have the horrible reputation it has. Toyota and Honda have very good reputations for reliability.

Last edited:
W210 worth it?

100% yes, provided rust hasn't got hold of it. I also think you could spend a long time looking for the right car at this stage, most from what I've noticed seem to have rust issues but some of those were only cosmetic like front wheel arches.

Bide your time finding the right car and you'll be on a winner.

The problem is everybody I'm speaking with are saying the same as renault12ts said. I won't find one without rust. :(

I love my w210 although I tried to sell it a few months ago due to health problems. It is now in my garage with only 59k on the clock.
Body panel rust is not a huge problem as they are easy bolt on/off.

W210 - nothing better for the money

W211s are also very cheap now and an early 2003 estate E320 CDI with the IL6 is perfect

The problem is everybody I'm speaking with are saying the same as renault12ts said. I won't find one without rust. :(

The W210 is over 20 years-old and even the latest ones will soon be 15 years of age so problems (rust is the main problem but won't be the only one) are to be expected especially as these tend not to be low-owner / low mileage type cars - most will have earned their keep. They should therefore be seen as Bangernomics with a bit of luxury thrown in.

Look out for a diesel model (but check the injectors carefully for "black death") - a 220 if you want some serious fuel economy or 320 if you want a bit more zip and if you keep looking you'll eventually find a very nice one for little more than £1000 or an absolute cracker for £1500 - £2000.

Thanks everybody for the replies so far.

Sure. The E Class is a good car but we are talking only about the W210. Are there still W210 taxis at this point?

And a as far as I understand, engine and mechanics were never the biggest problem. I'm sure they would run 200k miles no problem. The W210 problems seem to be electrical and very bad rust.

What is even more scary is that I have never seen a car with such a long list of notorious problems in their Wikipedia page as the W210. This must show they are really common right?

And are you saying the W210 is as reliable as a Toyota or Honda? Because I would think if it was, it wouldn't have the horrible reputation it has. Toyota and Honda have very good reputations for reliability.

The W210 is a very good car, but I don't think it's the right car for you. Based upon your posts you seem to have many reservations, and if you buy one, that's likely to become paranoia. Find another car, there are plenty of good ones out there.

W210 - nothing better for the money

W211s are also very cheap now and an early 2003 estate E320 CDI with the IL6 is perfect

I'm sure you say that in terms of marque, luxury and features? I would have to agree there is hardly anything better for the money. But if it will be at a garage to repair all the time because of a bunch of issues you can't even enjoy all it has to offer.

I need a car as a daily driver so it needs to be reliable.

And an early W211 is better and more reliable?

Thanks.

I love my w210 although I tried to sell it a few months ago due to health problems. It is now in my garage with only 59k on the clock.
Body panel rust is not a huge problem as they are easy bolt on/off.

It is quite difficult to unbolt the rear arches though...wouldn't you agree?

The W210 is over 20 years-old and even the latest ones will soon be 15 years of age so problems (rust is the main problem but won't be the only one) are to be expected especially as these tend not to be low-owner / low mileage type cars - most will have earned their keep. They should therefore be seen as Bangernomics with a bit of luxury thrown in.

Look out for a diesel model (but check the injectors carefully for "black death") - a 220 if you want some serious fuel economy or 320 if you want a bit more zip and if you keep looking you'll eventually find a very nice one for little more than £1000 or an absolute cracker for £1500 - £2000.

I think the age is hardly an explanation. My current car is 15 years old and no body panel rust whatsoever.

I would like a petro by the way.

The W210 is a very good car, but I don't think it's the right car for you. Based upon your posts you seem to have many reservations, and if you buy one, that's likely to become paranoia. Find another car, there are plenty of good ones out there.

Well, my reservations come from its very bad reputation. I would have zero reservations for example if I was thinking of a W124.

So I think my reservations are well justified, wouldn't you say?

Well, my reservations come from its very bad reputation. I would have zero reservations for example if I was thinking of a W124.

They are justified...just can't understand why you are even considering one.:confused:

I'd actually rather own a late 210 than an early 211. However, both are originally expensive cars with numerous things that can and will go wrong at this stage in their lives.

Having just run a 1999 Honda Accord coupe for six entirely trouble free months which cost me the grand total of a grand, my instinct is that for the same money I'd go for that over an ageing Benz.

My 210 (which had been heavily cherished) needed a new heater control panel, new MAF, new airbag, new clock spring, evaporator, rear shocks, rear spheres and numerous bits of minor rust dealt with. This is after the previous owner had replaced the PSE pump (they fill with water if the front drains get blocked), new injectors, new glowplugs, new bonnet, wings and tailgate. Great car when it ran well, but it is of that era when electronics are not great and are starting now to fail.

I've owned four W124s. I have serious reservations now about those!

It is quite difficult to unbolt the rear arches though...wouldn't you agree?
Most certainly. Having said that though, they are not too difficult to cut out and repair properly. It's all about finding the right one in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom