W210 worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Love all the comments about Omegas lasting for ever.

Look at www.howmanyleft.co.uk and you'll see exactly how well Omegas last.

Comparing 2016 with the year 2000, something like 1% of Omegas on the road in 2000 are still running today. Yes: 1%
99% of Omegas have been scrapped. For good reason: people didn't want to buy used Omegas - not at 3 year, nor 5, nor 7 years old.

Look at the W210's from the same period and you'll see that typically a quarter of those cars are still on the road 16 years later- often with high mileages. People like them and keep them.

Have a look.

And you have solved your own puzzle.

It has nothing to do with how reliable Omegas are, but as you said that people didn't want to buy used Omegas. So many people snob Vauxhalls. It matters not that Omegas won't rust as much as W210s and cost less. It matters only the badge.

So are you rally surprised there are more W210s left? Are you really surprised that people would want to keep the plastic Mercedes star polished instead of the Vauxhall griffin? When you gloat "I drive a Mercedes" sounds way more impressive to the average person than if you say you drive a Vauxhall.

Perhaps you should consider making KWK an offer on his car ? Looks to be in lovely condition , and with just 59k on the clock , barely run in. As an ex-traffic cop , and obvious enthusiast , it could be a steal. :doh:

I have totally given up on the idea of buying a W210. I'm shooting towards a W211. ;)

Might get shot down for this :D

Have you considered a BMW E39 5 series? Much better car than the W210 IMO

I've had both and totally disagree I'd take a W210 all day long even if they rust to bits !

Lexus LS or GS?

I was (still am) in the same boat, I bought a gs 300 in February 2013 not spent a penny bar two oil changes and new discs/pads on a car that cost me £1800. She's very tired now on 176k and I've been told it's not worth putting through the next MOT in April.

I wouldn't hesitate in buying another Lexus - maybe an Ls430 this time.

after reading all of these comments I now think this is another of our recent 'joke' posts

after reading all of these comments I now think this is another of our recent 'joke' posts

Yeah, initially I gave the benefit of the doubt but after a while, the responses did have a strong whiff of wind-up didn't they.

I have totally given up on the idea of buying a W210. I'm shooting towards a W211. ;)
I had both and was very happy with each one but in different ways. My W210 200 kompressor was a peach of car and probably the One I miss the most. The only part I had to change was pedal brake switch and nothing else. Fantastic reliability and very nice car to drive. Sold it only because I needed an estate. W211 240 (pre face lift) was also ultra reliable and with all gizmos but was much more expensive to maintain. Sold it also because of a need for an estate.
If you look hard enough I'm positive you can find a very good W210 and these are really cheep now.
If you are giving up on W210 because of scare stories these are nothing compared to W211 horrors you can have.

I had both and was very happy with each one but in different ways. My W210 200 kompressor was a peach of car and probably the One I miss the most. The only part I had to change was pedal brake switch and nothing else. Fantastic reliability and very nice car to drive. Sold it only because I needed an estate. W211 240 (pre face lift) was also ultra reliable and with all gizmos but was much more expensive to maintain. Sold it also because of a need for an estate.
If you look hard enough I'm positive you can find a very good W210 and these are really cheep now.
If you are giving up on W210 because of scare stories these are nothing compared to W211 horrors you can have.

What W211 horror stories are there? According to my research, if you buy a late W211 they are very good. I have been told to avoid early ones. Since your car was a pre face lift, maybe this was the problem?

Concerning finding a very good W210, if we agree that the horror stories are not made up and that generation of Mercedes indeed have problems and deserve the bad reputation, finding a good W210 at this point would be due to what?

A) Relentless maintenance by all previous owners who spent infinite amounts of money on it to keep it right till this point.

B) Just plain lucky where you find the reverse of a lemon.

C) The problems just have not happened yet, but most likely will.

I just fear it would be option C, which is the most logic if we agree the W210's reputation is deserved.

Option A is not any good because it would mean I would have to keep spending infinite amounts of money on it.

I don't really believe option B.

Who's your money on? DM or ***

Hmm, probably DM.

I'm not sure *** was much of a windup merchant was he? ...although I'm struggling to remember now!

Saying that, I thought the guy from the other side of the pond could have been as well.

Perhaps there are multiple aliases at work here... one can be who one wants to be.

Whoever you are or want to be, buy a Lexus and have done with it.

The hidden rust is there, developing for years....it hides behind the facelift sill covers and the rear bumper, as the favourites. These can't be removed, pre-purchase...

Tmc said:
What W211 horror stories are there? According to my research, if you buy a late W211 they are very good. I have been told to avoid early ones. Since your car was a pre face lift, maybe this was the problem? Concerning finding a very good W210, if we agree that the horror stories are not made up and that generation of Mercedes indeed have problems and deserve the bad reputation, finding a good W210 at this point would be due to what? A) Relentless maintenance by all previous owners who spent infinite amounts of money on it to keep it right till this point. B) Just plain lucky where you find the reverse of a lemon. C) The problems just have not happened yet, but most likely will. I just fear it would be option C, which is the most logic if we agree the W210's reputation is deserved. Option A is not any good because it would mean I would have to keep spending infinite amounts of money on it. I don't really believe option B.
Well there is a slight price difference between W210 and late W211.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611119665425

Compared to this
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201611169824289
I

The hidden rust is there, developing for years....it hides behind the facelift sill covers and the rear bumper, as the favourites. These can't be removed, pre-purchase...

This is my guess too.

Didn't know about the sill covers and rear bumper. Good info.

Well there is a slight price difference between W210 and late W211.
Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.5 E350 Sport 7G-Tronic 5dr

Compared to this
Mercedes-Benz E Class 2.4 E240 Avantgarde 4dr
I

Yes sure. I know that. But I decided if I want to have a Merc I better stretch for a good one. So I decided to get something else cheaper for now and the money I save by not buying a W210 and not having to maintain it, invest towards a W211 a little later down the road.

But so, the late W211 are indeed fine?

cf8fd3b7344ec20110bb89e411676eac.jpg

98 posts on buying a W210 (not). Someone close this thread!

Last edited:
98 posts on buying a W210 (not). Someone close this thread!

Don't be BH just because you have 2 Mercs from that same era. I'm not the only one saying they are rotten. Actually if you read the thread from the beginning you will realize that other people posting here were the ones who changed my mind about buying one. When I started the thread I was really interested in buying one, hoping the bad reputation was exaggerated. In other words, I was in denial.

But if going but some BH people here one would think the bad reputation is undeserved as they seem to be trying to deny it or diminish it.

Gladly there were many realistic people who were able to tell it like it is and steer me clear from it. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom