W211 (2009) Electrically folding wing mirror issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
W211 (2009) Electrically folding wing mirror issue

Both mirrors fold in perfectly, no problem at all. The NS mirror folds out fine but the OS mirror is stiff. It tries and gets about half way before giving up. To get it to fold out all the way it needs a gentle push at the same time as the motor is working. In effect I'm giving the motor a helping hand.

Hoping it's just dried out stiff pivot points or hinges but grateful for any hints tips before I start pulling it apart.

I'm not saying that you should do as I did but the folding mirrors on my S211 were a bit like this when I first got it. I sprayed where I could get to with WD40 and operated them a few times. Problem solved. It did take a while for the WD40 to stop running down the doors though!

I'm not saying that you should do as I did but the folding mirrors on my S211 were a bit like this when I first got it. I sprayed where I could get to with WD40 and operated them a few times. Problem solved. It did take a while for the WD40 to stop running down the doors though!

WD40 is not the best material use, it will dissolve and remove any lubricant that is there, sprayable white lithium grease is ideal and worked on my mirrors when I had a similar problem.

Can I ask did you just spray between gaps around mirror mounding and the door mount or did you remove the mirror mounding?

I folded the mirrors and used a torch to highlight the areas that move and lubricated those.

I folded the mirrors and blasted the stuff in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom