W211 3rd brake light failure,license plate lights not working and boot not opening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

t-dawg1

Car
Mercedes W211
So this evening got the 3rd brake light failure message accompanied by licence plate lights not working and could not open the boot via remote nor button on the front door. Checked all fuses and all looked ok and iCarsoft picked up no fault!

After some research online discovered it could be the earth wire broken inside the rear boot left side so I stripped the inner cover and surprise surprise the brown wire was broken. 10 minute job and wire back together and all ok again. Was dreading going to the dealer and be charged a fortune to fix

Thank God for the Internet and forums like this

its also a re-occurring problem, I fixed two wires on mine and a a few years later another 3 wires .... weak spot

Alps said:
its also a re-occurring problem, I fixed two wires on mine and a a few years later another 3 wires .... weak spot

I wrapped all the wires with so much duck tape i doubt any will ever break again under my ownership. Ya after some research it turns out to be a major known fault with that design

I wrapped all the wires with so much duck tape i doubt any will ever break again under my ownership. Ya after some research it turns out to be a major known fault with that design

Is it only a know fault on pre facelift (prior to 2006) cars only? Or is it for all W211 up to 2009??

Thanks in advance.
D

Is it only a know fault on pre facelift (prior to 2006) cars only? Or is it for all W211 up to 2009??

Thanks in advance.
D

Should be all W211s, it depends how the wires end up folding inside. If you are lucky then you will never have an issue.

When I repaired my wiring, I sat inside the boot and watched how the wires would move, so I allowed enough flex for the wires to move and ensured the wires did not catch anything.

Could you possibly post a link to the information that was used, just so that others can find it from here? It could prove really useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom