w211 Airbags Deployed what needs replacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slik_sly

The Airbags have gone off on my recently acquired e320 cdi.

Steering wheel and Passenger.

Can anybody advise what parts are needed to repair the system.

Thanks

Now, you just know there's more to tell here.

Did they go off pre- or post-acquisition? Did they just go off whilst the car was sat on the drive? Or is the front end of the car two feet shorter than it was yesterday?

That is a slightly flippant way of saying that depending on what happened to the car depends on what will need replacing. If the airbags have both gone off mysteriously on their own, then you will need to replace them and also find out what else went wrong to cause such a problem. Then that will need replacing too.

If it's been in a shunt, then the seatbelt tensioners will also need replacing, and what about the side, door, and seat curtains?

The SRS system is integrated into quite a few other in-car systems, so they will all probably need checking out. Not a simple job, in my view.

front end impact

passenger one has gone off along with the drivers steering one

i think both front airbag control units will either need reprog or replaced, also will need coded back into the car.

there may be other stuff also that needs resetting.

The seatbelt tensioning pyro system will have gone off too then.

good point, also the headrest will need resetting or replacing if it has active headrests!

Along with the front bags the top section of the dash board needs changing , the control unit may just need resetting ,
Is the car pre-face lift or face lift ?
Face lift cars will need the head rest resetting and the front tensioners relpaced along with the rear belts
Pre-face lift cars will need both front and rear belts changing .

It's a 2004 so prefacelift?

Is it possible for the airbags to go off without the occupant
Wearing the seatbelt?

I've sourced the complete dash and passenger bag
Fitting must be a ball ache I can imagine.

Have not got any modules yet as we plan to try reset/ reprogram
Them using Autologic.

Isit just the seatbelts them self that are needed or do they have there
Own module as well?

All the seat belts will fire when the air bags are deployed , even if they where not been used at the time of the crash , these need replacing.
The air bag control unit , if needed has to be gotten new as its chassis coded .
The dash top section is easy enough to remove , the screws that join it to the lower section are behind the wood trim piece . Be careful removing this , theres a clip at the drives end that pulls out , then the moulding slides sideways to release from the other clips .

Is it possible for the airbags to go off without the occupant
Wearing the seatbelt?
I guess you mean "without a passenger on the passenger seat"? This again depends on the presence of the occupant sensor in the passenger seat, not all (Euro) cars have one.

wow this does sound like quite a story!

Please do tell all!

... It will help us give you the best advice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom