W211 Comand APS Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomTanderson

Car
2008 W211 E280CDI
Reading through various threads and having had a Comand for a few months I'm left with some questions.

In older units there is a service menu and a hidden menu within that. I know the hidden menu was removed in later units but is there still a service menu and how do you access it?

How does calibration take place in this unit. I read about calibration in other units but the W211 Comand APS doesn't seem to have any menu options. Is it only carried out automatically? When I first installed my Comand unit the map was about 200m out when I took it for a 15 min drive (despite 6+ satellites) Next day it was spot on. I just tried a 2008 v8 DVD and initially it was running about 40m out for about a mile then gradually improved. Today it is still 10-15m out and it is really annoying me. I don't understand why a GPS system should need any calibration - GPS is an absolute location.

GPS gives an absolute position, but with varying error, sometimes significant. Comand APS needs the speed signal for better knowledge about the car motion, this needs calibration on older devices (my W221 does it automatically).

What do you mean by it being 10-15m off, at random direction or 15 m late with direction announcements or something else?

If the whole thing is out of whack then you can try resetting the navi processor to force it to into a full re-scan.

The COMAND APS calibrates automatically, the reason they need that calibration info is 1) for more precise motion info, same reason it has the gyro's

2) For dead-reckoning, your sat nav will still function even if it's not picking up any signal and it does this by using wheel speed info along with other data, if its not sure of the wheel size how can it properly determine speed.

Last edited:
What do you mean by it being 10-15m off, at random direction or 15 m late with direction announcements or something else?

It shows my position 10-15m further "back" than where I am, e.g. I get to a junction and the map/directions show/say I'm 10m from it (this wasn't an issue until I changed the DVD from V7 to V8).

If the whole thing is out of whack then you can try resetting the navi processor to force it to into a full re-scan.

Excuse my ignorance but how do I do that?

2) For dead-reckoning, your sat nav will still function even if it's not picking up any signal and it does this by using wheel speed info along with other data, if its not sure of the wheel size how can it properly determine speed.

I was aware of this (one of the big advantages of an integrated system - not that I would claim that that made it worth the extra cost!) but everything must be automatic because there seems nowhere to add info like tyre size in this version of Comand.

I do not know what year your 211 is, there is a software update that should be tried..
have you tried the old disc again

We can look at this for you on thursday;)

V8 does not require the update disks as it appears to have the updates on it.

To reset the navigation drive simply remove the power from the back, wait 30 seconds and power it back up.

We can look at this for you on thursday;)

Do you know HOW LONG THAT IS? :eek:

You clearly have no idea how much of a perfectionist nerd I am and how many pedestrians I could kill driving 10 metres off course for a week!

Will try a reset and try the V7 DVD if the the problem persists (sorry Television I should have mentioned that this is a 2007 unit so will have the latest software as I understand it).

I bow to your much greater experience in this field Alfie but with reference to updates for V8, I did notice that on the back of the DVD box it says "Comand Software-Update 30/06 (W/S211, C219, R171) and SW 22/06 (W/V220, C215, R230) is required".

I bow to your much greater experience in this field Alfie but with reference to updates for V8, I did notice that on the back of the DVD box it says "Comand Software-Update 30/06 (W/S211, C219, R171) and SW 22/06 (W/V220, C215, R230) is required".

This is the Headunit update (not the navigation processor update that Alfie was taking about) which allows ETA on the main screen as per 2007 models but will remove access to the hidden menus.

So I guess this means that if you upgrade from version 7 (or prior) to version 8 you will have to update your headunit and therefore lose access to the hidden menus and Video in Motion. Can someone please confirm this?

Video in motion is a bit of a contentious one, you wont find many on here who can/will help with this as it can be seen as breaking the law.
There are was around it without using the hidden menus, it's just a case of doing a lot of research.

Video in motion is a bit of a contentious one, you wont find many on here who can/will help with this as it can be seen as breaking the law.
There are was around it without using the hidden menus, it's just a case of doing a lot of research.

I don't want to break the law. I just want to know if upgrading to NAVTEQ v.8 means you will have to update your headunit and therefore lose access to the hidden menus.

Miga, I wasn't saying for one second that you would be looking to break the law, I was just saying that some may get a little heated on that subject!
If that is the only issue about upgrading then there is help available. I am unable to get into the hidden menus either.

If you upgrade the new software doesn't contain that menu, it doesn't always reset any changes made in the menu so if you have TV in motion enabled before the upgrade it might stick, on the other hand it might get reset.

If it doesnt stick there are ways of redoing if without the Hidden menus or additional wiring anyway, so I would go for the upgrade

Nah not really, even us dealer's struggle because the Compact3's automatically instruct the COMAND to disable the feature, you would need a SDS Basic to make the change and would have to keep the dealer away from your COMAND to avoid having it changed back.

You can buy modules that remove the speed signal from the CANBUS to the COMAND but that stops speed-sensitive volume adjustment and navigation dead-reckoning to name just a few.

I bought a little box from Germany that you plug into the diag port, it flashes a couple of times and hey presto.......as I said a little research

Oh and then you take the thing out of the port, it is not a permenant module

I bought a little box from Germany that you plug into the diag port, it flashes a couple of times and hey presto.......as I said a little research
Probably does the same as a Basic can do, keep your car away from the dealer's computer.

If the dealer did reset it I could just do it again couldnt I?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom