W211 COMAND - audio keeps dropping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Had the 211 in for a much-needed four wheel alignment/wheel balance earlier and with all the starting, stopping and shuffling around the forecourt the battery lost so much charge I couldn't turn the engine over fast enough to fire it up.

The fitters connected up a booster to the terminal under the bonnet, earthed it on the suspension post and it started first turn.

BUT I now have a COMAND fault. If I try to listen to the radio or to a CD the audio cuts out briefly every 20 secs or so.

I'm wondering if COMAND needs to be reset or something? ie it didn't get to shut down properly and now is tripping over itself.

I once had a COMAND phone problem which was solved when the battery died (this time totally), thus re-setting COMAND. Once I had a charged batter it fired up and the telephone problem had gone.

Should I be fining and removing the COMAND fuse or disconnecting one of the battery terminals to see if that clears the problem?

Thanks

Pull the fuse and see if that restores functionality.

Pull the fuse and see if that restores functionality.

Are you meaning the fuse box in the dashboard? If so which end is it located?

The manual tells me it's "on the left" "behind the drivers door".

When I look at the LHS end of the dash the cover has an airbag warning sticker.

Should I assume that the fuse box on a RHD car has been relocated to the right?

Right; got the dashboard fuse box open, retrieved the schematic.

Can't see any fuse marked "COMAND".

I've tries the "Audio Gateway" one - that just cut the sound, COMAND stayed on.

Have tried a few others but just can't find one that kills COAMND

After a lot of time trying to locate the COMAND fuse I gave up.

Took the earth terminal off the battery in the back, put it back on and COMAND has reset itself.

Thank God for that - got some long drives coming up.....

Wheels aligned and balanced, DVD's for the kids music and talk radio for us.

:)

Postscript; after finally putting the car back together I was finishing preparations for my trip to Devon....and then the SRS light came one.

No problem, I thought. Open up the three fuse boxes and get the diagram out, I thought. Did all that, reached for the diagram nd promptly dislodged it, sending it into the innards of my dashboard. Oh f&^%*&^.

No more time to much about to electrics so had to set off, SRS light beaming at me the whole way.

Arrived, parked up, unloaded and then sneaked back to fire it up. And result - "No Malfunction". Massive relief.

Anyone know where I can buy a new fuse diagram for a 211?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom