W211 E-class collecting water at base of windscreen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
I just lifted the bonnet after bringing the car in from the rain and noticed that there's a drain at the base of the windscreen between the wiper blade mounts, that appears to be blocked. I've attached a photo, showing it almost brimming fifteen minutes after I brought it in - at first it was level with the edge and clearly overflowing (somewhere?!).... so it's draining very slightly, but clearly not enough.

I can't figure out how to gain access to poke around behind it, I presume it's full of leaf mulch or something....

Where do I find the other end of this, presumably a pipe to the underneath or something?

Any pointers appreciated, thank you!
Jeremy

Attachments

• DSCN2499.jpg
    DSCN2499.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 88
Remove lid from pollen filter right rear engine room and filter and box. Flexy rubbery pipe underneath is drain from w/screen. Mine was kinked at clip due to poor install at some stage. It pulls out from inner wing end easily (only in there about an inch). I fixed kink by binding with tiewraps. There's also recall on trap at lower end of these. You have to unclip rear edge of N/S inner wing guard and fish about then 'yank' off the flap thingy that chokes up and blocks the pipe. (nb, 'yank' is what they did to mine in the stealers while I watched :eek:)
Also on mine I had to put rags over outside of grille and blow compressed air backwards up kinked pipe cos there is some restriction just after the grille which you cannot reach. Lots of muck came out by doing this so recommended but make sure you cover grille well.. Guess how I know this?

No doubt there's a correct way to dismantle the grille but it involves removing the wipers and all the rest of the paraphanalia. I couldn't be ar$ed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip - I removed the pollen filter and there was the hose you mentioned, hanging in mid air (the end not into the "socket" in the wing at all) and tightly kinked before it reached the clips. I loosened everything, had a *gentle* blow up the pipe and indeed saw bubbles in the puddle around the grille...... blew with ever more pressure until it was all quite free and easy - tucked the pipe into its socket in the wing, poured some fresh water in and it does drip through - not instantly, but steadily, coming out randomly in the area just behind the front wheel.

I'll see how it goes, by the look of things the flap you say chokes the pipe wasn't even getting a look in at the moment, but I'll get the wheel liner off at some point and have a good fiddle.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom