w211 E270 auto box problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dobble

Car
2003 W211 E270
Evening all. just drove back from nottingham to manchester and over the last 30 miles or so car wasnt driving as it should. seemed like a box full of neutrals or clutch slipping (i know its an auto). got home jacked the old girl up and there is a bit of fluid on the bottom of the box sump. am assuming its been leaking for a while as there is evidence of gearbox oil all along the undeside of the car.

now the problem A is i have to drive down to reading on monday for a job interview so i was thinking of draining the oil (or whats left of it) and filling it back up to see if that cures the problem.
Problem B is that i dont have access to STAR nor do i have a dip stick to check the levels.

can any body tell me the ball park figure of how much auto fluid i will have to put back in to get it to the correct level.

i have spoken to merc and they wont tell me but they will change the fluid for me, just not in time for monday.

local indie cant do it unitl the back end of next week.

i understand that this is not the best way to fix the issue but i need my car for monday.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks kris

Full capacity inc torque convertor is 9.1 ltrs in a 5g.

When they are low on fluid they tend to lock into a gear i think its 2nd or 3rd. It will also flag a Check engine light eventually. Code p0730 sometimes recorded.

You need the correct dip stick to measure accurately, over filling will cause damage also.

Possibly best hiring a car or taking the train to your interview rather than risk damaging the gearbox by over-filling or having too little fluid and hopefully your Indie can sort it out?

Same car as mine.Replaced oil and it took 7 litres (with torque converter).

Go to Mercedes and ask for a pilot bush, it's a plastic plug with 2 seals, get it replaced and you will need around 1 ltr of oil to top up.

Thanks for the replies gents. will nip up to merc when it opens.
Is pilot bush hard to replace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom