W211 E270cdi temperature too low??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Mirror Man

Car
W211 E270 CDI Elegance.Rover 75 Tourer
Collected my new (to me) E270 yesterday and was surprised how low the temp gauge was. The outside temp was about 14c but the engine temp gauge struggled to get above 80 on the 200 mile drive home. It was warm and sunny and for 1 1/2 hours on the M6 it was stop go. Later I took an hours rest and for the second half of the journey, after dark, the temp gauge was between 50 and 60.

Is this normal?

Just spotted a very similar post which answers my initial Q. Apologises for that.
So it's new stat time. Can someone please tell me where it is on the engine and if there is a safe or recommeded aftermarket supplier. Again, my apologies if the latter is a silly Q but I'm just getting to know the W211 and finding my way around.

You're right; it'll be your thermostat (and your fuel economy will have also suffered as a result).

You're right; it'll be your thermostat (and your fuel economy will have also suffered as a result).

Thanks for that. I only picked up the car yesterday. I just about managed to get it to 44mpg on the M6 when the motorway ground to a halt. It was 41.8 when I got home. :crazy:

Thanks for that guys. I've done another 420 miles over the weekend (2 longish trips) and averaged about 38mpg. Not impressed with the mpg. The temp rarely got above 70 though.

Do I just need a new stat or the stat and housing???

Thanks for that guys. I've done another 420 miles over the weekend (2 longish trips) and averaged about 38mpg. Not impressed with the mpg. The temp rarely got above 70.

Do I just need a new stat or the stat and housing???

The thermostat and housing are one and the same part.

Be careful of the plastic fuel pipes that run close by. They get brittle with age and can crack with even slightly rough handling. Be prepared to replace them.

Would you go to the main dealer for this at £61.80 or ebay at £31.99?

This is tempting but I don't know if aftermarket stuff for mercs are any good.
What's the general thinking?

Mercedes C CLC E S Class Thermostat CDI MAHLE ORIGINAL TI 31 92 | eBay

I have recently fitted a new stat to my ML that i purchased from eBay. Not a problem whatsoever. Saved a few squid too. MERCEDES-BENZ M-CLASS ML 270 CDI 99-05 Standard Replacement Thermostat
( 400593902514 )
Add note
ITEM PRICE:
£21.69

Last edited:
Given that the MB thermostats fitted at the factory fail with monotonous regularity, are they worth the premium?

Given that the MB thermostats fitted at the factory fail with monotonous regularity, are they worth the premium?

Laughably good point, well made. I have PM'ed Merc85 for a new one.

My E270CDI struggled to get to 50 degrees. I got a MB one for around £60 with £50 to fit it. On the journey to the garage I got 38mpg & the same journey back 46mpg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom