W211 E320 Lazy 'box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tyler Durden

Guys,
Im sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked alot before...but... ;)

(before I go on I'd point out that I did use the search but found no definative on this with loads of varying opinions...)

Ive recently bought a 2004 E320 cdi. Im so happy with this car it does absolutely everything I need. Since buying it though I have noticed the gearbox has got 'lazy' it needs a firmer prod of the giggle pedal to get it to drop down a gear. Kickdowns take a few seconds also. When I got it the car seemed more eager to drop a gear. Also Ive notice that at slower speeds, normaly between 20-40 mph, if I push down fairly hard on the throttle the car kind of stammers for a second (as if trying to make its mind up what bloody gear) then either drops down or stays in gear.

Just doesnt quite feel the same (before was definately better).

Is there a definative answer? I know on the Chrysler 300c CRD's its a fuse pull out foir 30 secs, is there anything like that on here to reset the 'learning' part of the car?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Same thoughts about my 04 E320, great car.

I noticed similar but thought it was me.

I have read some stuff on here about the gearbox learning your driving style. I tend not to have a heavy right foot so thought it might be that?

Any thoughts would be great.

It maybe best for both of you to have the transmission fluid changed if you have not had it done before. 40K intervals is what I recommend.

We can also re-set the adaptations using the Star so hopefully it will feel more responsive.

When was the ATF last changed? Also, the MAF may be at fault too. My gearbox is having some slightly erratic changes which only seem to happen when the outside temp is quite cold (like this morning) or when the car has done a fairly decent motorway run. Between these it seems to be fine!

My car is off to Prestige on Friday for lots of fettling by Olly so hopefully (cross fingers!) will sort this problem out at least...

You can also try disconnecting the battery for half an hour but this will probably not help and you'll have to go through the rigmorole of resetting the ESP, windows etc. I understand from Olly that the accelerator pedal reset procedure does nothing!

It maybe best for both of you to have the transmission fluid changed if you have not had it done before. 40K intervals is what I recommend.

We can also re-set the adaptations using the Star so hopefully it will feel more responsive.

I have had both of these things done to mine, and mine is still much the same as the OP. :(

Ok so the box can be reset, thanks for the info and I will be in touch. How long does it take a box to adjust as I wouldn't want to have to keep resetting?

Will do buddy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom