W211 estate rear suspension question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

baser

Australia, previously France, previously Australia
Car
W211 E320 estate, W116 280sel, 996 turbo
Greetings Mercedes folk,
I have a W211 E320 estate that has a noisy rear suspension.
the car sounds like there is a window slightly down or when you have not closed you door properly and there is a sort of general boominess to the vehicle.
I understand the difficulty of trying to interpret noises via a forum.
More tellingly the inside of both the rear tyres were worn down to the seams/wires whilst the outsides were fine.
Also driving along the other day i went through a patch on the road and the whole car seemed to skip sideways a fraction...quite unnerving.
The ride is much harsher/jigglier than my other (older.. .124) benz estates.
I have had the local garage chappie and the local Mercedes dealer look at it but I could not accurately convince them it was anything beyond tyre noise.
I have had the rear suspension strut thingys replace (forget what they are called on the self levelling rear world) but now thinking maybe the rear subframe mounts...but before I start throwing large amounts of Euros at the dealer I would like to have a better feel for what it may be.
Apologies for the longish post.
Baser :)

On the 210s the subframe mounts are always going at this age...not sure about the 211, but it's not right. Is the system set up properly, it's almost like shock which are too hard.

The tyre wear is down to the suspension set up, or bush wear.

A 211 expert will be along shortly.

I had the local chappie give the bushes a good work out with the lever bar..he thought they were good.
It is an odd one...as the tyre wear was extreme which should be a good 'tell' of the possible issue I would have thought.
Suspension issues drive me insane..impossible to diagnose and hard to DIY without hoists & tools....and mechs will often fling parts at what they 'think' might be an issue.
Are W211 experts like buses....will a whole bunch turn up at once? ;)
Loving this car otherwise...fully loaded spec wise...should have got diesel for France though....heated seats!!!! first time for me...so sleepy making!
baser

Hello Baser, how long have you had the car - is the noise something new to the usual driving experience?

Hi,
Just over a year now.
The rear end was never great which is why I replaced the rear struts. It had wide 17 inch rims with rubbish tyres so I went back to the original 16 inch and put good tyres on but the ride is still wrong.
I think it is something like a anti roll bar link or something that has gone.
to make matters more mysterious.
Whilst my brother in Law was driving it in Cannes (as you do) he said something was making a loud clanking noise...he took it to the dealer there....by the time he got there the noise was gone and the dealer found no issues. :dk:
I assumed it was an exhaust bracket/grommet gone...but they were all good when the car came home to me.
The boominess makes me think it might be the subframe mount....but the ride characteristics makes me suspect something else...and the tyre wear has me completely confused. :confused:
Baser

update on the rear tyre (tire) wear

So after having extreme wear on both inner tyres...then having new suspension struts installed...then new tyres...the result (after a lot of miles) is wearing on drivers side outer side only....thinking now it might be a camber/alignment issue...will take it to Merc dealer to have a look I think once I get the new tyres.

Worn tyres can sound just like worn wheel bearings.

Being a 211 they are quite often out on the camber front & rear so this needs sorting ASAP before you replace the tyres.

You need to find a decent 4 wheel alignment center which stocks Merc Camber adjustment bolts.

Being as your in France that's a job for you & Google.

Thanks for the speedy response....do you think I should get the alignment sorted before the new tyres go on or after....just concerned that getting the tyres on might throw the alignment out again for some reason.
Probably going to have to take it to the stealership...hard to find ...and explain...exactly what I want done with an indy.

"so this needs sorting ASAP before you replace the tyres."

:rolleyes:

I would have thought put the new tyres on and then do all the camber/alignment stuff.....without doing a national tour between the two events obviously....just thought that it would be best to have it ready to roll once the work was done.
Anyway...thanks for the help...will update in a few months as to how it all went

Hi .. I have exactly the same noise issue .. Did you find out what it was?

Got a quality alignment...the wear on the tyres is now fine...done a LOT of miles since.
The boominess is still there...I have just learned to live with it...it might be coming from sedans to wagons I am not used to the difference.

Hello again, I've had 3 estates and all have suffered from rear tyre noise - more than you'd expect from a premium car.

Quiet tyres, like Goodyear Assymetric make a big difference.

I have the same boominess, if I fill the boot up with say old carpets and underlay, the noise is substantially reduced.

This is my biggest bug bear with this car, I thought about putting dynamat around the cargo area, but I'd just be guessing at where the noise insulation would be most effective.

Really drives me nuts though, especially on concrete motorways!

I have the same boominess, if I fill the boot up with say old carpets and underlay, the noise is substantially reduced.

This is my biggest bug bear with this car, I thought about putting dynamat around the cargo area, but I'd just be guessing at where the noise insulation would be most effective.

Really drives me nuts though, especially on concrete motorways!
The saloon's not exactly hushed on fast roads either. Even with new Michelins all round, you're still told instantly, what kind of surface you're on.
The road noise on my 2006 BMW 525d saloon was comparitively speaking, non-existent.
Was shocked to find this on a premium car.
But right now, I'm trying to diagnose a knock at the rear suspension and another knock with loud creak from the front.
May resort to some of those wireless microphones you attach to suspect components.

I am going to bump my own thread...some time later!

I have sold that e320 W211 wagon / estate in France and relocated to Australia.
I never solved the boominess issue.

So...when I got to Australia I bought a exactly the same vehicle E320 W211 '04 wagon / estate ... and its got the same issue!!!

Reading somewhere on the internet that it may be a diff issue...so going to replace the fluids in there in the next week...see what that does.

I am going to bump my own thread...some time later!

I have sold that e320 W211 wagon / estate in France and relocated to Australia.
I never solved the boominess issue.

So...when I got to Australia I bought a exactly the same vehicle E320 W211 '04 wagon / estate ... and its got the same issue!!!

Reading somewhere on the internet that it may be a diff issue...so going to replace the fluids in there in the next week...see what that does.
It's come back to haunt you.

So I thought I would get the rubber donut thingy from the propshaft replaced to see if that helped....the mechanic forgot to attach the nuts to the bolt on the drive shaft........result was the driveshaft coming off at 90 km/h......smashing around the underside of the car...setting off a couple of airbags and the car was a write off.
His insurance dealt with it and the car is no more.....solved the boominess issue though.

Have had a few cars since then but just the other day bought a w124 wagon....so great!

Muttley Laugh !!!

I'm a very happy owner of an E500 S211 estate - currently spending a couple of months in Provence. I don't recognise that noise issue at all - mine's almost S500 quiet.

I would have counselled a fancy wheel alignment centre with all the kit to check it out - but your mind is somewhere else now: happy motoring !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom