w211 Front brake disc change SBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Hope you guys can help,

I need to change the Front brake disc's and pads on my 2002 e55k, Obviously it has SBC brakes.

With the car asleep, can i disconnect the Multi plug on the SBC pump whilst i work on the front brakes, then plug it back in before waking the car up?

I know i can disconnect the batteries but its abit of a hassle.

Any advice on the above much apreciated.:thumb:

Yes Gav, you can.
After watching my indy do the brakes, all you really need to do is put the keys well away from anyone so the car can't be opened and SBC activated and you are safe. Lock them in a draw if necessary.

I was wary of doing the pads myself, but after watching MBS do them and treat them the same as normal brakes with the activation issue in mind I would happily do the job myself.

Edit...... a useful guide to changing discs and pads on an E class with SBC
http://mbworld.org/how-tos/a/merced...replace-brake-pads-calipers-and-rotors-386500

Last edited:
So you lock the car with it obviously up in the air? then Start on the brakes?

So you lock the car with it obviously up in the air? then Start on the brakes?

Yep. Jack it up, put it on axle stands and lock the car and put the keys well away from the car.

Check the link I just added above.

As above but turn it onto the appropriate lock first so the calliper is accessible. Then, when one side is done, key the thing and reverse the process for the other side.

As above but turn it onto the appropriate lock first so the calliper is accessible. Then, when one side is done, key the thing and reverse the process for the other side.

Thanks Druk, shouldn't have to put it on a lock, but will bare that in mind sir.:thumb:

No but it does make access easier. Two cautions: Don't under any circumstances key the thing with the pads removed. The pistons will shoot out faster than Casanovas ding-a-ling. And, if the calipers are the same design as mine, it's possible for the pins to stick. No amount of release oil will get them to move and the best way is to have an angle grinder to hand with a small disc in and part off the pins either side of the pads, remove said pads then punch out the remnants of the pins; which for some reason are then easy to come out.

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack this thread but...

Is it possible/advisable to do as the Haynes manual suggests and change the brake fluid on my pre-facelift S211 (SBC) by using an Eezibleed after first deactivating the SBC by disconnecting both batteries?

Ta for your advice

Steve

Sorry to hijack this thread but...

Is it possible/advisable to do as the Haynes manual suggests and change the brake fluid on my pre-facelift S211 (SBC) by using an Eezibleed after first deactivating the SBC by disconnecting both batteries?

Ta for your advice

Steve

No i dont think so, I've always understood it only possible using star and a high pressure fluid machine in the proper sequence, i may of course be wrong.

To work on sbc leave the key in the ignition (ignition off) window down and door shut, don't open the door or switch the ignition on until you have finished.

To bleed sbc ideal need 1.5-2.0bar pressure bleeder.

Just did front pads and a new caliper on my W211 this week as brake force on front axle was uneven.

I disconnected the plug to the SBC unit after the car was in position with wheels off etc.

Removed sliders, cleaned and lubed these, removed the dodgy caliper, fitted the new pads and caliper and used an Eezibleed to bleed the new front caliper. All good after that.

You managed to bleed the brakes with a Eezibleed? Didnt think that was possible with sbc.

You can bleed the system but what you can't do is bleed the SBC reservoir. Much better to get STAR to perform the bleed

You managed to bleed the brakes with a Eezibleed? Didnt think that was possible with sbc.

Doesn't say what year his 211 is. Post 2005/6 the facelift cars did away with SBC and reverted back to the inferior old system.

Doesn't say what year his 211 is. Post 2005/6 the facelift cars did away with SBC and reverted back to the inferior old system.

He said he disconnected the plug on the Sbc pump,

Just did front pads and a new caliper on my W211 this week as brake force on front axle was uneven.

I disconnected the plug to the SBC unit after the car was in position with wheels off etc.

Removed sliders, cleaned and lubed these, removed the dodgy caliper, fitted the new pads and caliper and used an Eezibleed to bleed the new front caliper. All good after that.

Looks like it was a pre-facelift with SBC Druk.

Pre facelift 2004 model with 214,000 miles on it.

It's easy enough to bleed the front calipers as the valves are open.
On this occasion I actually got the local Bosch guy to do a full fluid change with Star when they were doing the MOT anyway. ;)

I love the brakes on the W211 compared to the W212 and would not hesitate having the unit replaced if it ever comes up with the dreaded message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom