W211 Hidden Battery check/Oil quantity/VIN/Service details

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crash

Car
BMW 430D M Sport Gran Coupe XDrive
I recently suffered the woe of leaving my lights on Park and returning several days later to a very dead car. With the help of the RAC the car was started and the battery was tested and apart from needing a full charge it is OK.
A quick search of the internet revealed this little trick which I had never heard of and have not found here after a search.

1.Turn the ignition key to position no.1 ( the one before you get all the warning lights)
2. Press the mileage reset/dimmer button up to 3 times in quick succession and you will see the current charge of the battery.

3. Press the sub-menu up button on the steering whel and you will get details about the fitted instruments and helpfully, once the engine is running the actual oil quantity in litres.

4. Press again and you get ESP Dynamo meter details(?)
5. Press again and you get your VIN
6. Press again and you get service details

I am probably the last to know about this but thought it quite useful especially the battery and oil level.

The first few functions stay available once you have started the car and only disappear again after you turn the ignition off. Helps to see what the charge is to the battery as you drive along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom