[W211] Interference / poor radio signal when ignition on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mishad

Car
W211 E280CDI
I've noticed poor (i.e. worse than my previous car - a Mk3 Mondeo) radio reception on my W211 (58 reg, with original/NTG1 Audio 20) - lots of noise, and RDS often not retuning when moving between signal areas.

Initially put it down to just being a bit worse, and in marginal reception area for national stations (near Bath - quite hillly) - local radio stations much better. And was worrying that when I install the NTG2.5 Audio 20 (still need to get loom adapter/cableset) it could get worse still and I would lose radio 4 for good!

Noticed yesterday that when I turn off the ignition the signal is much better (much less hiss, and suddenly TP signals received), and it gets worse again when turning back on - even just going to phase 1 (not starting glow plugs or engine).

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas why this might be?

I get this also. And it is pretty new behaviour too :dk:

I get this when I have a charger plugged in to the iphone from the fag lighter.
Could it be that?

I get this when I have a charger plugged in to the iphone from the fag lighter.
Could it be that?

YES! Came to the same conclusion last night. Have tested with a couple of other charger plugs - some better than others but all have the problem to some extent.

I wonder if I could fit a noise suppression choke or something to the 12v line to the radio (or behind the lighter socket) to reduce the effect?

I put a new (NTG2.5) Audio20 unit in, and at the same time put a choke on the power wires going to the lighter socket.

I do still get some noise/interference when the usb charger is in the lighter socket, but certainly less so than before - I can now listen to the radio even with the charger in, though I'd still take it out when not in use to completely avoid the noise.

Not sure how much of the improvement is because the NTG2.5 unit has better selectivity/interference suppression (or simply shuffling of the wiring looms around to make it all fit back in the hole!) and how much is the choke, but happy for now.

Longer term plan is to build a bespoke multi-port USB charging unit and fit higher-quality caps and regulation on that - usb lighter socket chargers are space constrained so probably skimp on cap size/quality.

usb lighter socket chargers

Is that a power socket dedicated to usb as opposed a power socket that a charger can be plugged into? If it is, I think that is a great idea. A lot less bulky for a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom