w211 no window opening / closing from fob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
windows are all synced. Fob is supposed to open and close the windows with a long open or close press of the button. Nope. Nothing. Nothing on codes that suggest any problems.

You've got to be stood really close to the car for it to do it.

It is probably the door sensor that has gone....they are temperamental at the best of times...

On a W211 I find it only works if you put the fob right in front of the IR sensor... My father's W210 works like a dream... Works From various distances and on both sides.

So on a W211 it's rubbish... I don't bother using it.

Never got it to work reliably on my CL. It's a very common problem, apparently without a fix.

Most people just give up with it.

On a W211 I find it only works if you put the fob right in front of the IR sensor... My father's W210 works like a dream... Works From various distances and on both sides.

So on a W211 it's rubbish... I don't bother using it.

Ditto this...

Jsut went out side to put some rubbish out and tried the convenience open/close and it worked :bannana:

Tried a few times and each time it took a series of fob presses.
All right up close to the IR receiver.

First press to unlock.
Second press of unlock does nothing (noise and indicators flash).
Third press open all windows.
Fourth press nothing (noise and indicators flash).
Fifth press and pano roof opened.

Reverse process to close everything.

Much quicker to get in the car and open or close all inside the car without the fob :dk:

Just had a play with mine... So unreliable lol.

Last edited:
lots of presses, fob touching sensor in drivers door handle, nothing....

poo.

Tried again this morning, very bright, clear skies but cool and in the shade. Worked but not that well, windows stopped half way and had to press twice again.
This evening, much warmer but still in the shade, nothing worked.
I've read that it seems to work better in evenings and night?
IR beam not powerful I suppose? Never heard of any upgrade :-(

Why MB chose to implement this feature using IR instead of RF is bewildering, especially as normal locking/unlocking is RF anyway.

Don't they know that the sun is a colossal emitter of IR, about a gazillion times more powerful than their puny key?

Last edited:
If it's any consolation I've come from a W202, where the feature worked perfectly each time every time, to a C219 where the functionality is like the W211 and I can only describe as patchy at best.

The best I could muster was to get the windows half closed on a long press of the lock key whilst the key was inches from the front driver's door lock.

I was pretty miffed about the demise of technology from circa 1998 to 2010 but when I think about it, the only time I have ever used the convenience open/close function was to demo it to friends & relations etc. I've never once used it because I wanted to but it would still be nice to have a choice.

S.

I used to use it on hot days to open all the windows prior to getting in. My mrs is a fulltime wheelchair user, and getting in and out is a pita, and she frequently forgets to close the windows..... So muggins here has to do it.

I like that is also turns on the ventilated seats as well as opening windows. It makes a huge difference on days like today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom