W212 7G/7G plus identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

Was hoping someone can help, am looking for a W212 E250 with the 7G plus transmission as i've heard its much more improved compared to the 7G, most of the online listings just say 7 gears without any further detail, how can you identify which car has the 7G plus as opposed to just the 7G?

Advice appreciated :)

Hi, almost impossible via VIN decode as this just gives a 722.9 xxxx part number. 2012 MY and newer with stop/start have the 7G Tronic + auto box but also earlier E350 CDI's (mine included) were also fitted with the 7G Tronic + box but didn't have stop/start. I found this out by reading my original sales brochure for the 2011 models.

If anyone else knows more, please tell!
Mark

I would like to know too. Even the dealer who serviced my car recently didn't know

I would like to know too. Even the dealer who serviced my car recently didn't know

They had better find out sharpish. The + uses different fluid to the non + afaik.

Not gospel but my pals definitely non G+ is a 722.902; whereas my G+ is 722.903.

If that makes sense...:dk:

Looks like it's a bit of a mystery, the salespeople I've spoke to so far have not been too helpful either with the query, one said 7g plus is not that much better then 7g.

I'm pretty sure all the cars with steering wheel located shifters are 7g+. it should also show up on the DVLA form given different consumption & emissions

They had better find out sharpish. The + uses different fluid to the non + afaik.

Not gospel but my pals definitely non G+ is a 722.902; whereas my G+ is 722.903.

If that makes sense...:dk:

Just checked my VIN decode and it has gearbox = 722 903 03 247 537 and it's a 7G Tronic + and it has column shift. So that all checks out.

There's some misinformation about this as some sources say that the 7G Tronic + was only with the Stop/Start feature - not true.

I'm pretty sure all the cars with steering wheel located shifters are 7g+. it should also show up on the DVLA form given different consumption & emissions

Initially that's what I had thought, I saw a 2012 model with column shifters (but no start/stop however probably not relevant) but dealer said it was only 7G and not the plus, he didn't sound too sure, bit annoying as would have purchased the car if I knew ifa definitely the plus :(

Initially that's what I had thought, I saw a 2012 model with column shifters (but no start/stop however probably not relevant) but dealer said it was only 7G and not the plus, he didn't sound too sure, bit annoying as would have purchased the car if I knew ifa definitely the plus :(
My W212 350CDI was built April 2011, did not have stop/start but did have a 7G+ gearbox.

Anything built 2012 is definitely a 7G+ gearbox. If the salesman didn't know which gearbox it had, then it's pathetic that he lost a sale because he couldn't be bothered to find out.

Mine too is 722 903 with the column change lever. Does that confirm its a 7G Plus? Reason I ask is that when I bought my car at three years old and 31K miles the dealer confirmed they had just done an ATF change, however having just had a service just over a week ago the service advisor said it will need an ATF change at 70k miles, but couldn't confirm what gearbox I have?? Furthermore on the MB my servicing website, if I put in my car has done 80k miles it asks for an ATF change but doesn't at 70k miles or less. Double confused now. Any ideas?

My W212 350CDI was built April 2011, did not have stop/start but did have a 7G+ gearbox.

Anything built 2012 is definitely a 7G+ gearbox. If the salesman didn't know which gearbox it had, then it's pathetic that he lost a sale because he couldn't be bothered to find out.

Thanks Phil, I can look at 2012 cars with confidence then if they are all plus, out of interest if I see any 2011 models I like is there anything I can get the seller to do to verify its the plus gearbox?

Thanks Phil, I can look at 2012 cars with confidence then if they are all plus, out of interest if I see any 2011 models I like is there anything I can get the seller to do to verify its the plus gearbox?

According to the 2011 MY Sales brochure all 2011 E350 CDI's have the + auto box. Sure way to check is put the VIN into a decode and if the gearbox = 722 903 xxxx then it's a + box. And yes non + boxes have an ATF service at 37K miles and + boxes at 70K miles or thereabouts.

Mark

Ok, so if mine is a 7G plus box as the code is 722 903, when MB did an ATF change at 31K miles how can I be sure they used the correct ATF as I understand the'plus' and the non plus boxes used different ATF which is not interchangeable?

Ok, so if mine is a 7G plus box as the code is 722 903, when MB did an ATF change at 31K miles how can I be sure they used the correct ATF as I understand the'plus' and the non plus boxes used different ATF which is not interchangeable?

Good question! I'd be back onto the dealer Monday morning asking a few questions as you're correct about the fluid spec AFAIK. If they have misinterpreted the auto box type then they are liable for any corrective actions IMO. Great when MB get themselves confused!

I also have a question regarding the front brakes fitted to the E350 CDI sport models, these appear to have a cosmetic/type change from 2011 to 2012. But that's another thread start I think.

Mark

The only cars that were fitted with both the 7G and 7G+ gearboxes were the 350CDI's, and all 350CDI's have the column mounted shifter regardless of gearbox type. This is where all the confusion comes from.

The early 4-pot diesels were fitted with the 5G gearbox and floor-mounted drive selector. The 7G+ gearbox (with column mounted shifter) was introduced on the 250CDI from around March 2011 and on the 220CDI a few months later. No 4-pot diesel W212's were fitted with the 7G gearbox.

The oddball was the E350 BlueTEC which retained the 7G gearbox throughout the lifecycle of the pre-facelift cars (afaik, but certainly true as of the April 2012 pricelist).

Easiest way to check which gearbox is in the 350CDI is to look at the C02 figure on the V5. Here are the numbers for the diesel Saloons, including the 4-pot engines, as long as they're fitted with the standard wheels:

5-Speed Auto 7G-Tronic 7G-Tronic Plus
SE Avantgarde Sport SE Avantgarde Sport SE Avantgarde Sport
E220CDI 154 156 159 N/A N/A N/A 129 132 138
E250CDI 154 156 159 N/A N/A N/A 129 132 138
E350CDI N/A N/A N/A N/A 181 186 N/A 162 168

That's strange as a guy at work has a 2012 E350CDi cabriolet with a shifter on the centre console

The only cars that were fitted with both the 7G and 7G+ gearboxes were the 350CDI's, and all 350CDI's have the column mounted shifter regardless of gearbox type. This is where all the confusion comes from.

The early 4-pot diesels were fitted with the 5G gearbox and floor-mounted drive selector. The 7G+ gearbox (with column mounted shifter) was introduced on the 250CDI from around March 2011 and on the 220CDI a few months later. No 4-pot diesel W212's were fitted with the 7G gearbox.

The oddball was the E350 BlueTEC which retained the 7G gearbox throughout the lifecycle of the pre-facelift cars (afaik, but certainly true as of the April 2012 pricelist).

Easiest way to check which gearbox is in the 350CDI is to look at the C02 figure on the V5. Here are the numbers for the diesel Saloons, including the 4-pot engines, as long as they're fitted with the standard wheels:

5-Speed Auto 7G-Tronic 7G-Tronic Plus
SE Avantgarde Sport SE Avantgarde Sport SE Avantgarde Sport
E220CDI 154 156 159 N/A N/A N/A 129 132 138
E250CDI 154 156 159 N/A N/A N/A 129 132 138
E350CDI N/A N/A N/A N/A 181 186 N/A 162 168

Useful information, many thanks. My V5 states CO2 as 171 G/KM but I assume that because it's an E350 CDI sport (265bhp) S212 (estate?) version?

Mark

My V5 states CO2 as 171 G/KM but I assume that because it's an E350 CDI sport (265bhp) S212 (estate?) version?
Correct. The Estate model is generally around 3g/km higher in emissions.

That's strange as a guy at work has a 2012 E350CDi cabriolet with a shifter on the centre console

The Coupe and Cab is a C Class really and different.

I think the straight DRL's came out just before the 7g+ 'box.
So if you have the hockey stick type it will be a 7G.

Also the 265bhp cars were from 2011, March I think, and there are some 265bhp cars with the older 7g 'box.

I think it was around June production when most were using the 7g+ 'box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom