w212 drivers seat cover removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lewiseyers

Car
w212 220cdi estate 2010......still
HI

my 2010 w212 has the black leather look seat covers, and to be honest there comfy and i like them, problem is, the drivers seat base that you sit on has torn and given way on the bolster, it looks scruffy, and the heated seat is now temperamental..

Id like to remove the lower seat cover and replace, with the one I got from Mercedes, its a genuine part and was £239 in case any ones wondering,

is there any one out there who has done this, id like to know the procedure, before i have a go, i cant find any you tube videos..

Im not sure how the plastic panel comes of the side of the seat either to unbolt the seat belt from the chair, so the seat can be removed for the job,

will i get any fault codes or issue when i unplug the electrics from the seat

thanks in advance:rock:

You probably don't need to remove the seat from the car, just tip it backwards and unbolt the base cushion.

You will get an airbag light if you disconnect the yellow connector (which you need to) even with ignition off - however you may avoid it if you disconnect the battery before you disconnect the yellow connector block on the seat, and then reconnect it and connect battery again. Just disconnect the ground on the battery (brown) and tuck it out of the way.

If the heated seat is tempremental, the pad is probably breaking and you need to work out which it is (EPC shows a centre pad and a pad for the bolsters/front) and replace it really, as it will be going to break soon (its only wire) so do it whilst you have everything apart. You wont be pleased at the price of these pads ..

Cheers

Richard

Hi, did the seat cover today...took from start to finish 1hour 25 mins at home

and a easy job for a novice the seat stays in the car

i have a few more pictures ill try and post up

did not disconnect the battery had ignition off, and had no issues with warnings in cars computer

1 leave seat in driving position
2 remove 4 bolts holding seat down
3 tilt seat back undo fire extinguisher holder and remove ( 2 torx screw on either side)
4 look under seat were driver knees would be , there are two torx screws undo these and the seat base will come away from the frame , beware there are wires attached to the frame still,
5 remove electrical clips, and remove seat
6 pry the edging of the seat off around the perimeter of the base dont try and seperate cover from base yet remove the metal tray and the grey card board like liner
7 now there are a few more connections from the seat cover to the foam with joining rods through blue clips
8 i very carefully trimmed the seat cover from the rods with scicssors, taking care not to snag any thing with the scissors, i did this because the little blue clips attache to the foam are fragile and its not completely obvious how they work i did not want to damage them.
9 remove the heat element from its pocket and detach seat cover
10 now have a good look at the blue clips that hold the centre of the seat in place familuise your slf with how these work
11 fitting is reverse of removal and incredibly straight forward, a friend with a extra pair of hands is handy when folding the fixing bead back round the base

Attachments

• IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 141
  • IMAG0443.jpg
    IMAG0443.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0444.jpg
    IMAG0444.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
never has to touch any thing to do with air bags, got no warnings at all did not need to disconnect battery, just disconnect wire thats for the heat element,

I don't suppose you have the part number for the seat cover do you -mine's split along the stitching ?

Seat cover repair,
Also had the split seat cover and heated seat not heating in the middle problem. W212 Estate 2.2 car has done 330k so not inclined to spend a fortune on the new parts.
Agree 100% with the disassembly and re assembly of seat had instructions in earlier posting. The blue clips were not as bad as I expected though. Main tools were a long thin flat bladed screwdriver and a trim removal hook. screw driver to press down to expose open throat of the clip, then flick/lift with hook past the rod bar, then remove pressure on screwdriver. Work from back to front to remove, then front to back to replace.
Removed and repaired split cover using several techniques including first superglue (flex type), underside patching with thick fabric repair patches (25mm wide), some machine stitching to re-enforce with 2 hours of very fine hand stitching to finish to partly reinstate the crease on the seat. I also added an extra 20mm thick pad of a fairly stiff re-constituted foam padding, as seat had sagged quite badly. The result ended up quite presentable and comfy, although not perfect. 6 hours work altogether and £25 of materials, thread, glues, tapes, most of which were not/ or only partly used.

Seat Heater
Next was the heater pad. tried to re-wire, but proper resistance stranded wire was un-obtainable. So bought a pair of over size third party, non model specific pads from Ebay for £8 total. Haven't' fitted that yet though. Scissors my be used, as long as I can work out where the conductors go. Am checking the resistance of the good seat heater on the passenger side, as don't want to overload the electrics. Intend to re-use the old connectors on previous pad, soldering and sleeving on to the wire on the new pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom