W212 E300 Hybrid Battery Malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CYPER

Car
W212 E300 Hybrid
So yesterday after work I started the car and 10 seconds into the drive home got this error message on the screen. I pulled over as soon as I can to investigate and after that I could not start the engine anymore.
I called Mercedes Mobilo, who just sent an RAC truck to transport my car to my local dealership for investigation the next day.
All the car electronics worked OK, which makes me think it might be a problem with the hybrid system.

Anyone had a similar experience? Does it look like a costly fault?

StV2q1B.jpg

I had one of these for 2 years and did not have any hybrid problems with the car, is this still under warranty?

If not I would seriously consider a Mercedes warranty on this car.

The hybrid battery alone is I believe around £6000 or so.

Hopefully not too serious or Mercedes may make a contribution if serviced within the dealership.

John Laidlaw on here also had one and had an issue, he may update later.

Good luck to you.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warranty ended May this year, so unfortunately not.
Last service was with Terry at Wayne Gates, who is highly recommended here.

Tomorrow will be the Day to find out how deep into my pocket I need to dig :(

Well Terry is indeed a highly regarded technician, are you near Wayne Gates?

If you are that would be a good place to start.

Let’s hope it’s not too serious.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The car should be at the dealership already, so would need to wait and see what they will say.
And I did call Terry when it happened, but he obviously could not advise over the phone.

At least I was given a 2017 E220d as a replacement, which is nice, but I am still mightily worried about the cost of repairs.
I am thinking that this should not happen to a car just 5 months outside warranty, so unless Mercedes fixes it without any cost to me I will use the 6 years warranty rule under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

So got a call today and was told that they have shut down the high voltage system and after investigation has found a resistance somewhere on the wires.
Wanted my approval for 4 hours worth of labour (£600) to find which wire is causing the problem.

Highway robbery

I doubt it.

I would ask them why they estimate 4 hours, and to describe to you the procedure they will be following to identify the specific fault.

My suspicion is that they may want to get at the electric motor itself which is packaged in between the engine and gearbox.

I attach a hybrid system component overview from WIS which may be helpful in any discussion.

This one is for model year 2014 onwards, which, I guess covers your car if it has just gone out of warranty. If you want the one for earlier cars, let me know.

Attachments

• 212_098 as of MY2014.pdf
    359 KB · Views: 59
I contacted the dealership today and was told that before chasing the wires to try and find where the resistance is they will do a recall first.
The recall was about a bolt inside the gearbox that was not screwed to the correct torque and could not lead to the engine not starting after parking.
He mentioned the words flange, torque but can't find any info on Google.
Can you find anything?
Cheers

Can't find any formal recall notice on this site: Check for vehicle, part or accessory recalls - GOV.UK

However, I have a recollection of reading about a flywheel bolt that was not properly torqued when manufactured, which came undone in use.

Mercedes have a system called TIS which disseminates technical information in bulletins to dealers. These are not available to the public unless someone has copied and pasted into a forum, the dealer may well be working off one of these.

If you Google for 'Mercedes Hybrid Problems', you will come across quite a few forum thread references (some including the names mentioned above). Looking at these, the prognosis doesn't seem good. Looks like the battery malfunction symbol quite often ends up with a replacement hybrid battery at a cost of £6k - £9k or a replacement gearbox at similar cost.

I do hope your problem is not as severe as this.

Can't find any formal recall notice on this site: Check for vehicle, part or accessory recalls - GOV.UK

However, I have a recollection of reading about a flywheel bolt that was not properly torqued when manufactured, which came undone in use.

Mercedes have a system called TIS which disseminates technical information in bulletins to dealers. These are not available to the public unless someone has copied and pasted into a forum, the dealer may well be working off one of these.

If you Google for 'Mercedes Hybrid Problems', you will come across quite a few forum thread references (some including the names mentioned above). Looking at these, the prognosis doesn't seem good. Looks like the battery malfunction symbol quite often ends up with a replacement hybrid battery at a cost of £6k - £9k or a replacement gearbox at similar cost.

I do hope your problem is not as severe as this.

Yeah the flywheel bolt that was not properly torqued - I think that's exactly what the guy from the dealership told me. He said they have ordered the spare parts and will hopefully be done by tomorrow evening.

Now I must admit I am a little worried about the resistance found somewhere in the wires, because I did a little modification to the car, that is I soldered THIS directly to the back of the cigarette lighter socket.
This technically should not be any different than plugging the same think in the socket, but who knows.

Can't see that modification causing any problems. Cigarette lighter is discretely fused anyway.

If you had added a piggyback connection to a control unit fuse, then maybe - see Bruce Millars thread where an auto shop wired his dashcam to the ECU fuse.

I would think fixing the flywheel bolt involves a fair amount of dismantling - might give them chance to physically check the electric motor.

I too remember that thread of a flywheel bolt coming loose.

It's a bit cheeky but i have come across companies which don't check extensively and rely on what you tell them. However do read the small print in case it doesn't cover hybrid components. I would use this as a last resort to cover big bills.

Good news: Just got a call from the dealership and was told that service bulletin they carried out fixed my car and it's all free of charge + a free car wash :)
I am so happy :) And I got to drive the newest E class for 7 days, which is nice :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom