W212 E350 CDI engine upgraded (already)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sashalon

My E350 CDI W212 Estate is only a couple of months old and it seems MB has already tweaked the engine for new orders (175kW to 195kW, 540Nm to 620Nm, 191g/km to 170g/km).

Is this an ECU only update? I am not a long-time Benz owner; if it is an ECU upgrade, do the dealers offer an in-warranty remap?

I have a couple of other questions to ask; not sure they warrant entirely new threads in the relevant forums though.

Of course both related to my W212:
1. central controller - doesn't have force-feedback like the BMW as I was expecting (and from what I read in a review of the E350 in AutoExpress). Does the COMAND unit have FF and not the Nav 50?

2. Can I get the full postcode upgrade for the Nav 50? If so how?

If this is a remap they will do under warranty then I am definitely interested!

I am not familiar with the BMW system, so what do you mean by force feedback?

I would be surprised if a re-map alone dropped the emissions by 20, and power increased by a full 20kw.

Where have you got this information that they have tweaked the engines?

The "new" specifications of the 350cdi engine were in Autocar last week. Bascially new injectors/higher pressure injection are the main upgrade along with a tweaked turbo. I'm guess that improving the injection pattern is the key to the reduced co2. Impressive figure now!

Well I'm not happy about this then.... Only had my car 6 months and they have upgraded the engine already :(

Well I'm not happy about this then.... Only had my car 6 months and they have upgraded the engine already :(

There will always be upgrades going on by every car manufacturer. If you are happy with the car then just enjoy it, no point worrying about it. I think there will be some minor tweeks on the E Class coupe for the 2011 model.

You are right pamrit. Just disappointing though, you do expect your new car to be the latest piece of kit for 2 years at least.

as pamrit says - they change them all the time - always trying to get the emissions lower as the company car tax bracket is their biggest catalyst for new sales!

When I was looking for my c220 and also looking at the BMW 320d / 520d I was always asking if the cars (all around mid - late 2007 / early 2008) were the 163 or 177Bhp models - I found it it wasn't that simple and BMW made seven engine revisions to the 2.0l diesel unit in that year! - constantly looking to reduce emissions!

seven revisions! - where do you stop? I gave up trying to sort out the differences and bout the C220 (which has sky-high emissions in comparison (non-BE model!))

If this is a remap they will do under warranty then I am definitely interested!

I am not familiar with the BMW system, so what do you mean by force feedback?

"Stops turning at the end of a menu"

I am convinced I read that in a review somewhere, and the S-class definitely does that.

Yeah - my car is not yet 6 weeks old, and that upgrade could quite possibly help the frustrating lag from pull-off. Though from what I have discovered that seems to be more with engaging the correct gear - if you give the car a moment with your foot off the brake before you decide to pull off it is pretty responsive.

You just need the latest gearbox software update for that hesitation problem. Sorts it out when driving in S mode but not in C. I therefore always drive in S mode now. Ask your dealer for this update.

"Stops turning at the end of a menu"

I am convinced I read that in a review somewhere, and the S-class definitely does that.

No in that case, the system in the 212 just keeps turning.

Thanks - pleased to clear that up! Wasn't sure if my sales exec was being dismissive, and I needed to get the car in for a repair. The article I read must have had an error - perhaps a comparison to the BMW 5, but reported in the wrong section.

Also pleased to know have met someone with an options list as long as their arm.... ;-)

You just need the latest gearbox software update for that hesitation problem. Sorts it out when driving in S mode but not in C. I therefore always drive in S mode now. Ask your dealer for this update.

Interesting - thanks. I haven't noticed a difference in sport mode, so could be worth a look. I cannot imagine your consumption is all that good though - I can eke out 38 mpg with super-careful driving over a fairly nice leisurely 17 mile drive to work; but that drops to late twenties if you have an average foot around town.

You'll be incandescent when they put in the Bluetec version! The S350 CDI gets it next month. 10% more power (254bhp), 14% more torque (457lb/ft), CO2 down by 22g/km to 177g/km (a similar degree of improvement would see a theoretical E350 Bluetec fall 2 VED bands), combined cycle fuel consumption improved by 3-4 mpg (now 41.5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom