W212 Headlamp Adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

solarmer1

Car
MB 2001 E320cdi, 2010 W212 E350
Hello.
My 2010 W212 saloon E350CDI appears to have the dipped beam set too high; judging by the number of drivers who flash me. The car is fitted with Adaptive Highbeam Assist which automatically recognises oncoming lights and dips the main beam into dipped beam mode. The system is working in that the lights move up and down, as they should, on start up however the problem appears to be that the "dipped" beam isn't quite dipped enough. Otherwise it's a great system!

Are there any adjustments available which would enable the light to dip further or is this a workshop job for someone with MB Star?

Many thanks.
Regards.
tristar:)

Someone must have the answer to this...please.

Mechanical height adjustment is via the screw inset in the top of the headlamp unit

Ideally the zero setting should be checked using STAR before using the screw adjuster

Thank you.

Many thanks. Will take a look in the morning.
Regards
solarmer1:thumb:

Done....nearly!

Thank you to Whitenemesis. I set up my makeshift 10 metre range "tester" this morning using two light coloured boards with the existing beam patterns marked with black tape at the topmost point of the light setting. The adjustment is via a hex key into the socket at the top of each lamp. The socket is visible through the trim above the headlight.

Clockwise to take the beam down, ant-clockwise is, obviously, up.:thumb:

I just need to wait until nightime today in order to test it. Simple, when you know how! I was becoming increasingly confused by reading stories of requiring software etc which I accept should be used to provide proof that the lights are compliant. The beams were fine previously other than the high setting on dipped.

The software (STAR) is only required to set the zero point of the suspension sensors that auto-adjust the lights to account for vehicle loading etc..

Tested tonight and now fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom