1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Official Club stickers are now available, if you have not already ordered some go grab them now! To order click this Link ----> CLICK ME Go get them whilst stocks last! To dismiss this notice click the cross to the right of this message.

W212 small coolant loss advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by theclass, Dec 28, 2016.

1. theclass

theclass Active Member

Car:
    c class
    Hi All

I have a 61 plate W212 E250 purchased as an approved used, I've had it for nearly 12 months without issue, a couple of weeks ago however I got a coolant warning light come on, took it into the dealer who topped it up, they were too busy to do any further checks.

I then took it into Wayne Gates (my trusted indy!) who did a pressure test (screwed some sort of guage onto the expansion tank and pumped), all was ok, they also checked the common locations for leaks including the waterpump area and all was ok.

I also took the oil cap off and could not see any mayo.

My concern is, I've been checking the expansion tank regularly and it does look like the level is dropping, have not got the light yet but I expect I will soon, any other ideas as to what might be going on? its typical that my tier 1 warranty has just expired, I'm hoping the fix will not be too expensive, car has 50-60k on it.

2. Monkeylegend

Monkeylegend Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E Class 220CDi, 2004 SL350
    I had similar with mine, low coolant light came on. I took it to Mercedes who had it all day, did a pressure test, checked all the gaskets but couldn't find a leak.

Had it back about 3 days and it came on again and I could hear a slight rumbling noise. Turned out the water pump had a slight leak that was not picked up on the pressure test, but worsened over further use.

I think the water pumps are plastic and a known issue, although mine had done just over 200k before it needed replacing. Not excessively expensive, under £400 but thankfully Mercedes (Robinsons) replaced as a goodwill gesture because they hadn't identified the leak when they had the car in.

3. OP
    OP
    theclass

theclass Active Member

Car:
    c class
    Thanks for the reply, sounds like I'll just have to see how it goes, good news about your dealer, mine tries to charge me even for stuff covered under warranty :(

4. T5R+

T5R+ Hardcore MB Enthusiast

If not the water pump or hose then there is a part that sits between engine and bulkhead that is the culprit.

You may notice that at high and sustained motorway speeds that the coolant falls but at sedate use hardly moves.

5. Braincrank

Braincrank Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 200E
    Like T5R+ said, it could also be the heater matrix that sits inside the car behind the dashboard . I had that issue.
    It was loosing coolant when I switched the heating on and made a gurgling sound.
    It's a pig to get to and I gave up after taking most of the car apart. I then used Kseal instead and that sorted it .

6. Braincrank

Braincrank Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 200E
    Also , check the filler cap.
    I had a faulty one a few years ago , it won't show up when you do a pressure test because you take the cap off to fit the pump and gauge on ....

7. MercE350

MercE350 Member

Car:
    E350 CDI, Sport (265), 125 edt.
    I had the same MY of E 350, I had same issue right at the start, took it back they checked it, put on post here asking the same, I found out that the sensor is sensitive and the level has to be right on or just above where the black plastic meets the white plastic of the bottle, hope this makes sense, if you remove the cap you will see what I mean

8. jaymanek

jaymanek Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    Lots of Mercedes!
    On that engine the leak will be either water pump, fuel filter housing, egr cooler seal or radiator. Possibly more than just one of those!

Very common for leaking. Water pump must be changed complete with housing. MB now do exchange items which are a lot cheaper than they used to be. Fuel filter housings are the next most common cause.

Also hose clips are problematic. We replace for proper old style hose clamps.

9. OP
    OP
    theclass

theclass Active Member

Car:
    c class
    Thank you for the replies, feel a bit more reassured as have more info now.

Not had the light again but I can see the level has dropped ever so slightly below the black bar, can see a bit of white.

I did think of the radiator cap but theres no marks, thought there may be telltale signs if its leaking from there..braincrank did you have any visual signs RE your cap?

10. ph47mf

ph47mf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W212 E220D
    sorry to revive and hijack this old thread, in case new threads on the same subject annoy mods :rolleyes:

The coolant warning light came on when i started the car 2 days ago (it hasn't come on since), I checked the level but i can't make out whether it's full or not, there is no marking or wording to say full or empty, i read the manual but the instruction picture is so small it hasn't made me any wiser, can you guys tell from the pictures?

if it does need topping up, what kind of coolant do i need for this W212 facelift? :dk:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. derektrotter

derektrotter Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB
    I'm afraid your pictures do not seem to be working.

12. clk320x

clk320x Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK320 W209, AMG styling, Facelifted Dash, 18" AMG wheels, Pioneer SPH-DA120 App Radio
    will say in yours owners manual

or ring up your local MB and state Reg and that you want to buy some coolant concentrate... I only use the genuine stuff