W212 tyres advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

telu

Car
2011 E220 CDI
Hi guys,

I am not sure if this has been covered before... I will soon need to change the rear tyres on my W212 saloon but I'm not sure what to do. Their size is 245/45/17 and I have Hankooks MO in 95W. I am of the opinion that they haven't lasted too long (around 25-26,000 km) and I am thinking of replacing them with 99Y's. The manual says that for this tyre size you can use 95W (on saloons) and 99Y (on estates), but you can use 99Y MOE also if you have a tyre pressure monitoring system or a tyre pressure loss warning system (which my car has). Would you recommend using 99Y's ? And also what brand? (I would stick with the MO marked tyres). I have Contis 5s MO on the front and they have plenty of thread left. I used Hankook and GoodYears in the past on other cars and I was quite happy with them, however the Hankooks have let me down on the Merc...
I am looking for advice/opinions from other more experienced Mercedes owners than me.

Thank you all

My E350CDI came from the factory with Pirelli P7’s in the same size as on your car which easily lasted 20k miles and probably had another 2-3k in them when I changed them for Goodyear Efficient Grip. Can't tell you how long the Goodyear's last as I sold the car around 3k miles later, but they were much quieter than the Pirellis.

My E350CDI came from the factory with Pirelli P7’s in the same size as on your car which easily lasted 20k miles and probably had another 2-3k in them when I changed them for Goodyear Efficient Grip. Can't tell you how long the Goodyear's last as I sold the car around 3k miles later, but they were much quieter than the Pirellis.

Thank you so much!
PS Do you remember by any chance what speed and weight rating were they?

Hi guys,

I am not sure if this has been covered before... I will soon need to change the rear tyres on my W212 saloon but I'm not sure what to do. Their size is 245/45/17 and I have Hankooks MO in 95W. I am of the opinion that they haven't lasted too long (around 25-26,000 km) and I am thinking of replacing them with 99Y's. The manual says that for this tyre size you can use 95W (on saloons) and 99Y (on estates), but you can use 99Y MOE also if you have a tyre pressure monitoring system or a tyre pressure loss warning system (which my car has). Would you recommend using 99Y's ? And also what brand? (I would stick with the MO marked tyres). I have Contis 5s MO on the front and they have plenty of thread left. I used Hankook and GoodYears in the past on other cars and I was quite happy with them, however the Hankooks have let me down on the Merc...

I am looking for advice/opinions from other more experienced Mercedes owners than me.

Thank you all

I'm driving E220 bluetec and tried few brands . If you looking for a smooth drive with less noise hankook are still the best. If you change to 97Y or 99Y or XL then you get double noise on motorways and worst fuel economy . As far as to try premium brands up to 95 rating then you get better thread life. Try new Pirelli P7. As someone suggest contin' by E350 then that's different car from E200/E220 .I hope it helps you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,

I fitted Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance to my previous S211 E220 CDI and found them great.
I selected them as they get excellent overall ratings (wet & dry performance and fuel economy) in independent reviews (e.g. Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews) and they were available at a good price.

I fitted them to the rear of my current S212 E220 CDI (225/55 R16 95W) a few thousand miles ago - very good so far.

Hi,

I fitted Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance to my previous S211 E220 CDI and found them great.
I selected them as they get excellent overall ratings (wet & dry performance and fuel economy) in independent reviews (e.g. Tyre reviews, tests and ratings - Tyre Reviews) and they were available at a good price.

I fitted them to the rear of my current S212 E220 CDI (225/55 R16 95W) a few thousand miles ago - very good so far.
Thank you for your advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom