W213 E63s Air intakes/Intercooler/Radiator protection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

23 Romeo Tango

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
X253 GLC 250 || Aufrecht, Melcher, and Großaspach
Has anyone done anything about these problem areas.
After just 1200 miles I have some small stone damage to the intercoolers. No leaks or major damage, but I would imagine that it's only a matter of time.

I find it strange that MB have left the design with this flaw. My W205 C63s had a mesh grille over these areas.

Wow, all these openings on the nose of the car are debris catchers - MBWorld.org Forums

Can't upload image

Last edited:
o_O Surely I can't be the only one with this issue.
Is it that nobody else thinks it's a problem or am I alone here ?

You are not alone here, I too think it's an unforgivable omission from MB. My W203 C55 AMG has steel mesh below the 'intake' below the number plate and has the same steel mesh fitted in the 'intakes' around the front fog lamps, there is nothing to protect behind the fog lamps so this is just a styling exercise.

This is a car built in 2006 and yours is new, it's hard to comprehend how MB often make backward steps , there are many examples of good features disappearing (or never being fitted as standard) as models are 'face lifted' or re launched.

I read the link you posted and if you lived in the USA you would not be alone but here in the UK it appears your fellow E63s edition owners do not share your concerns. I for one would be straight down B&Q for some mesh to make some kind of temporary guard until I could find something proper elsewhere.

A shocking thing to have to contemplate on such an expensive car. Good luck with finding a solution.

Ive owned my 2018 E63s for 8 days and 700 miles. Same thing happened to me two days ago. "Pebble put hole in intercooler" and "Not a warranty part" so I have to pay $2500.. It BS, total design flaw. Makes for "track only" car.

I contacted Peter Langston from Zunsport and he tells me the project is on hold as he still needs a development vehicle. I also messaged (on here) who I believe to be the same member as on the other forum who mentioned he was dealing with Zunsport in Cannock, but he hasn't replied. He has the same username, but of course could be a different person all together. Coincidence that he has the same username and same car !!!

I'm 3 hours drive away from Cannock and very busy for the next few month so I'm unable to let them use my car as a development vehicle. Hopefully their isn't any major damage before I can find a solution.

On the other hand this looks like it could be a good fix. When I'm home I will take a look at how these vents are removed and take it from there.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Having followed this both on here and the other forum, though I must admit to forgetting about it for a while, I can now confirm that I will be at Zunsport with my car this Tuesday.

I've been chatting with Peter (owner) and he wants the car for around 6 hours for measurements etc. :eek: After everything has been measured up and all the angles worked out, I have to go back down for fitting which obviously will be a while later.

I'll keep this thread updated when I have more news. :)

Great, I’m looking forward to this protection for piece of mind.

Do you know if it will be installed behind the fins (like the video above) or in front. I believe I read somewhere that Zunsport has begun their design phase with the intention of installing the protection in front.

Great, I’m looking forward to this protection for piece of mind.

Do you know if it will be installed behind the fins (like the video above) or in front. I believe I read somewhere that Zunsport has begun their design phase with the intention of installing the protection in front.

No idea to be honest, will know more this time tomorrow hopefully...

Update: I went to Zunsport today to get the car measured up for front grills.

As mentioned above, I arranged this trip a couple of weeks ago after speaking with the business owner. He was supposed to be getting an E63 as a prototype/clothes horse in a while ago but the owner never showed, so I grabbed the chance to get mine in as a demo for them.

A long day but, after several hours of measuring and working the shapes out, initially in card, then sheet steel and finally mesh with a surround, they are now developing the prototypes which should be ready for fitting next month and, if all goes OK, they will then go into production shortly after.

The lower opening seemed to create the most problems, probably due to the push on splitter flexing a bit, so this has hopefully been taken into account and will fit all the W213s. The outside "nostrils" will be the same on all cars.

These grills will fit over the original ones with a series of clips and will come in either polished silver, like a chrome effect, or gloss black which mine will be. I asked about putting them behind the originals but this would involve front end removal which not many owners would be prepared to do. they'll hopefully be subtle enough to be barely noticeable yet strong enough to withstand a hit and protect the cooling system.

I'll update when I go back for the test fitting meanwhile, have a couple of pictures which I've managed to grab: -

Hole before fitting (everything was masked to protect the paint) : -

Side Open.jpg

Other side with a grill in place: -

First Fit.jpg

I didn't get any of the lower grill in place as workshop access was a bit restricted to me so I'll have to wait till I go back for the fitting.

They look like they are going to do a great job.

I had some Zunsport grilles exactly the same as these on a Navara I had. They were very sturdy and looked the part too.

Personally I would have preferred them behind the fins, but it’s all about what would sell the best and I guess Zunsport know the market and an easy fit is their best option.

Thanks again for taking the time to get this to production.

This is how they should look when fitted, sorry about the car but their picture: -

Porsche.jpg

As an update to this thread, the grills are now ready for final fitting so I'll be going down on Monday to get them.

They reckon it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to get sorted out, including taking pictures for their advertising purposes, so I'll try to update with my own photos when I get back home. I was talking with the business owner today and he reckons he's had lots of enquiries about these, including several from the US, so hopefully they'll benefit everyone.

Great Dave.
Did he give you any indication as to when they will be available to purchase.

I’m sure you’ll be getting your set for free, but how much discount can you get for forum members ?

No idea on prices yet Rich, it's not even been discussed but they should be up for sale from next week onwards as all the templates are now made and ready to use. Provided that they fit of course...

I will certainly ask about a forum discount when I'm down on Monday but don't hold your breath in anticipation.

I’m sure you’ll be getting your set for free

I couldn't possibly comment. ;)

Just a quick update.

I can't get down on Monday now as it seems I'd forgotten something important I have to do on that day, so it's going to have to be Wednesday instead. :(

Grills now on the car. :)

I got there a bit early this morning, mainly to miss the traffic. Was offered a brew straight away, which I gratefully accepted and told they would make a start on the car as soon as the bosses son arrived, who seems to be in charge of the workshop. Pleasant chap and got the car straight in for fitting. It only took them an hour or so and I was on my way home again. I wasn't allowed in the workshop due to insurance purposes so didn't see what the fitting entailed though, having looked at it since in my own garage, it's a very nice job. Two small holes had to be drilled into a cover at the back of the central grill to secure it but, even if the new grill is removed, these are not noticeable.

Couple of pictures: -

Front OS.jpg Front NS.jpg Front at Home.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom