W213 E63S - Breaking Engine In. Am I being dumb?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E63S

Car
Mercedes E63S
I’m taking delivery of a new E63S soon(ish). The chap in the dealership has told me that the engine will need to be broken in for 1,000 miles, then gradually driven harder for the next 800, before the complimentary oil change at 1,800, when you can give it the full beans. He also said this process needs to be done in “comfort”, and that I shouldn’t exceed 4,000 RPM.

My question is this, and I’m probably being stupid, but if I’m in comfort mode and below 4,000 RPM, aren’t only 4 of the 8 cylinders working, and therefore only half of the engine is being broken in? As I understand it, in comfort mode only 4 cylinders are in operation between idle and 4,750 RPM.

Obviously the simplest solution would be to stick it in Sport, but then you surely run the risk of over revving the engine?

Any help would be appreciated, as although I like cars, my expertise with them ends when I need to do anything more than add washer fluid.

Thanks!

I would think that the cylinders all rotate at the same speed, regardless of which ones actually fired....?

Also, I would imagine that it's not always the same 4 cylinders that fire... otherwise long term there will be discrepancy in spark plug and injector wear.

The 4 cylinder thing only usually comes in occasionally and at low speeds or light cruising. It actually is the same four cylinders which cut out, though I can't remember which ones. I'd be using S mode a few times to help shake the transmission down a bit though, not just in C mode all the time. There's a windscreen sticker to remind you of the procedure just in case.

As for 4,000rpm, you'll seldom see it under normal driving. In fact, if you get to that in top gear you'll be exceeding the legal speed limit by nearly double

As said, makes no difference if cylinders are being fired. They’re going up and down anyway and that’s what’s breaking in.

TL;DR: Yes.

My R172 SLK55 had cylinder deactivation too, it dropped to 4 cylinders at low engine loads, light cruising is a perfect example. The car used to cruise at 75mph at around 2000 rpm on 4 cylinders (as stated above the same 4 cylinders) but slight inclines or throttle inputs would bring all 8 back on song almost imperceptibly....it could do 34mpg on a run. Wish the C63 had it instead of the daft free wheeling option on the gearbox.

RR

The running in sticker on my GTR says.

For the first 1000 miles:
Max speed 86mph
Max revs 4.5k

No mention of comfort mode or taking it easy for another 800 afterwards either. 1800miles seems ridiculous for a performance car. As someone else said though 4.5k rpm in this or the E63 is actually reasonable fun given that they produce max torque well below that.

I doubt you will Get near 4.5k in comfort at any stage - I had to nip it into sport after the first thousand just to flex the engine rpm and was ultra careful not to kick down or top 4.5 k revs - haven’t gone over 4.5 yet and 300 miles to go to first oils change

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom