W213 Low Oil Pressure Warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dazadd

Car
E-Class 220D AMG Line Premium Plus Estate
I have the above error message appear very intermittently over the last few weeks, the message been "Engine Oil Pressure Low. Stop Engine immediately". The car has been to the dealer and no faults are logged in the ECU and the engine oil levels etc are where they should be. This is worrying as if it is a fault, damage could be occurring to the engine but as no log is recorded and running parameters all appear normal when plugged in to the diagnostics it is hard to decide what is going on.
Hard to replicate as it appears very randomly sometimes days apart and only for a second or so, just enough time to read the message, panic then relax again!

Any ideas from the collective knowledge on here, the car is the new E220D with 7,000 miles on the clock.

Low pressure warning possible causes:

1. Faulty oil pressure switch/sender

2. Computer error / software bug

3. Incorrect oil grade (too thin)

4. Worn engine parts / excessive gaps etc

5. Faulty oil pressure pump or drive

6. Lack of engine oil

7. Clogged oil filter or oil passage in engine block

Given that it's a new car, my money is on 1 or 2....

Also, not directly related to your specific issue, but in the interest of a comprehensive reply: low oil pressure warning would be considered normal on a high mileage engine when idling.

I suppuse you could push the dealer to carry-out software updates (2), plus possibly an oil and filter change (7) if they agree to do this under warranty.

Shame there isn't an oil pressure gauge that would clarify if the low pressure is real or not.

The revs and temperature that the message appears might give a clue. E.G. if the low pressure is real you would expect to see it when the engine is hot and at idle revs. If it appears at any revs with cold oil it's very unlikely to be real.

For my money it's going to be a sensor or wiring fault.

I have the above error message appear very intermittently over the last few weeks, the message been "Engine Oil Pressure Low. Stop Engine immediately". The car has been to the dealer and no faults are logged in the ECU and the engine oil levels etc are where they should be. This is worrying as if it is a fault, damage could be occurring to the engine but as no log is recorded and running parameters all appear normal when plugged in to the diagnostics it is hard to decide what is going on.
Hard to replicate as it appears very randomly sometimes days apart and only for a second or so, just enough time to read the message, panic then relax again!

Any ideas from the collective knowledge on here, the car is the new E220D with 7,000 miles on the clock.
Hi there I've got the same car with exactly the same message appearing (it's only happened twice but it's still a worry)
Been into dealership today and they can't even look at it until 18/10/17.
Told me if it comes on again to ring Mercedes recovery and have it collected from wherever it is , then it will be pushed to the top of the list to be looked at

Only "left field thing" I can think of is TOO MUCH OIL--- if the engine oil level is too high the crankshaft can strike the sump oil surface causing aeration which can lead to air entrained in the oil- this might give momentary drops in oil pressure. Other possibility might be overfuelling from a stuck injector meaning you have a mixture of diesel and lubricating oil in the sump. These should have been picked up on inspection of course. Have you checked the engine oil level yourself? I find some dealers are inclined to overfill engines with oil. To me the dip stick has two levels fill and full. I would be looking for a visible level at around 2/3 to 3/4 of the scale between the two when hot.

Only "left field thing" I can think of is TOO MUCH OIL--- if the engine oil level is too high the crankshaft can strike the sump oil surface causing aeration which can lead to air entrained in the oil- this might give momentary drops in oil pressure. Other possibility might be overfuelling from a stuck injector meaning you have a mixture of diesel and lubricating oil in the sump. These should have been picked up on inspection of course. Have you checked the engine oil level yourself? I find some dealers are inclined to overfill engines with oil. To me the dip stick has two levels fill and full. I would be looking for a visible level at around 2/3 to 3/4 of the scale between the two when hot.

This is the same problem i see on this side.
Mechanics tend to regards more as better!!
Tuercas Viejas

Hi there I've got the same car with exactly the same message appearing (it's only happened twice but it's still a worry)
Been into dealership today and they can't even look at it until 18/10/17.
Told me if it comes on again to ring Mercedes recovery and have it collected from wherever it is , then it will be pushed to the top of the list to be looked at
Eventually the dealer found to to be an oil pressure switch and replaced it, the problem has now gone, Mercedes are aware of the issue as several cars have now had this problem so your dealer should be able to fix this fault.

Hi All

I am having a similar issue and getting a "Engine oil pressure, Stop, Switch off engine" message. Its worth noting the message does not specify whether the pressure is high or low. The message comes on on the majority of drives at random and only appears for a few seconds before vanishing, the message does not persist. I bought the car a month ago and the previous owner told me about this and said he got it checked out and there did not appear to be anything actually wrong.

This coupled with the experience of others in this thread makes me think its a sensor issue. Does anyone know where the sensor is located and is this something that can be replaced yourself. Or is the sensor hard to access or perhaps requires the oil to be drained in order to replace?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

I don't know for fact where the oil pressure sensor is on your engine (though typically they are at the front of the engine, near the timing chain area, close to the oil pump), but just to say that it can also be an issue with the wiring e.g. trapped or chafed wire.

BTW, your E220d will likely have the OM654 engine. If you Google oil pressure switch/sensor/sender and OM654 you will find your answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom