W213 media system issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domo

Car
E220CDI
I have a new W213. It's a very nice car. I have a few issues with the media system but the main one is this -
I listen to my music from a 64gb USB stick. I have the music on the stick divided into folders ( Music A-Z, Soundtracks, Compilations, Classical). The problem is the system doesn't recognise the folders. For example if I'm listening to Born to Run on Bruce Springsteen's Greatest Hits it shows it as track 3241 out of 7853. If I press current track listing it shows Abba's tracks as Abba is alphabetically at the beginning of all the music on the USB stick - you can then scroll down through all 7853 of the tracks on the stick.
If however you search for Bruce under Artist/Album then it will show Born to Run as track 2 out of 12 and when you press on current track listing it will show only the tracks on that album. Never had this problem before even on the W212.
Other problems are the fact that it only shows some of the album art with no discernible pattern. There is no hard button for forward/back. You have to be on the media screen to change track. There is no way of quickly going back to the track you're listening to if you leave the media screen.

Organising music via folder structures and filenames is a bit out of date now.

You'll need to have ID3 tag information present in your mp3 files. If none is present, you'll have to import them into iTunes or some software that can identify them and populate that information for you.

Man enough to admit you listen to ABBA? :cool: :p

LOL - When you get to my age embarrassment is a thing of the past! I don't really get all that stuff about ID3 tags etc - I'll have to ask one of the kids! Thanks anyway.

Same problem as domo - fixed I think.

I have all my music tracks on an SD card, but I should think this solution will work on a USB stick as well.
All my tracks are organised like domo's but were being presented as just a stream of consecutive numbers, with no other info. until you stopped at a track and it started to play. As i-CONICA said, this arrangement no longer works on COMAND.
I bit the bullet and downloaded/bought "Tag&Rename", a very capable program which will efficiently generate *.m3u playlist files for you containing any combination of your albums and tracks, including the same tracks in different playlists. There will undoubtedly be some free programs on the internet that can do the same thing.
I then imported all my tracks into "Tag&Rename" and decided what I wanted to include in each playlist. I then highlighted the folders/tracks for each playlist, and selected "playlist-save selected files to playlist" on the Program's toolbar.
I was presented with a window where I could name the playlist anything I wished to, and saved the playlist file. The file was saved to the SD card. I continued to do this until I had generated a long list of *.m3u files. I ensured that all these files were on the root of the SD Card, and not hidden among the tracks.
I finally inserted the SD card into the car's SD slot and selected "Media - sd card". The system asked me if I wished to import files, or something like that (I was lax enough not to read it properly). I next selected "Search - playlists" in the Media options and "presto!" I was presented with a list of the playlists (*.m3u) files I'd previously generated. When I select a playlist, all the tracks on the playlist come up, and I can start the media playing wherever in that list I like. My music files are no longer dependent on Albums or folders and I can put any track in any playlist I like, and generate an *.m3u file with the selection.
I'm sorry this is such a long post, butI h ope it helps.

Tag&Rename is great.
It will allow the OP to see why he's missing album art also.
I thought it was free though, I certainly don't recall paying for it.

Ok its a rare day off work for me and I've ben fiddling :D

I'm an old git and keep my tracks organised in files as well.

From your main media screen pull the central joy stick down, this will open a range of options, go to "search" and press your joystick, this will give you options on how your music is delivered/sorted, choose "file" this will show you your individual files in alphabetical order, I have mine by artist,

See images

Attachments

• media image.JPG
    media image.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 19
ShaunB, you are absolutely correct, Tag&Rename is free. I was having a senior moment and got mixed up with something else. Mia Culpa!

Hello Boris, I'm a bit puzzled by your use of "joystick". Is this the same as a drop-down menu?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom