W213 run flats - front inner shoulders worn though to carcass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proeliator2001

Car
W213 220d AMG P+
Car is 2016 W213 E220d. In for yet more warranty work today and called late afternoon to say they can't test drive it as tyres are too dangerous. The central block of tread has 5mm at least right across the legally required section. *I think new tyres have some 8mm tread so they haven't worn much. *But the inside shoulders have worn away to quite literally nothing.

You can't see this damage or wear from the roadside unless you stick your head under the car and look at tyres from centre line of vehicle. This means it's pretty much a hidden failure and one which an otherwise careful walk round inspection would miss.

What I don't understand is that the car had its first service 4 months and 6000 miles ago and no problems were flagged. Though I was told today they wouldn't tell me if it was wearing right down on the shoulder until, like now, it got to the point of showing carcass. *This seems unreal to me. They are happy to let accelerated wear continue on a part of the tyre which your can't see but not tell the owner. With the risk of blow out well before next service/inspection. Seems like a dereliction of duty to me*

I got some utter rubbish about driving whilst flat can cause it which was later changed to driving with low pressure. It's fitted with pressure sensors, has never been run low. They said oh they only trigger with sudden pressure changes; no I said, this system displays actual pressure *(not relying on abs/wheel rotation speed like the simple warning systems). They then said it's likely tracking is out and also said it's common (?!) on heavier vehicles. It must be massively out to destroy inner edges but leave 15000 to 30,000 miles of wear on the main bloody tyre. And if it's common, why do Merc spec that wheel/camber/toe angle then?

​​​​​​​So, question, based on the condition of the tyres in the pictures, what do you think has gone wrong and would/should they have seen this 6000 miles ago. Car is on 21500 miles now so it was seen with two thirds current mileage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170720-201827.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-201827.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20170720-201622.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-201622.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 58
That looks nasty, dangerous and expensive.

They may have not bothered checking the tyres as on Tuesday i had a meeting with the service manager as there were a few things "overlooked" when mine was being serviced at the dealers. If you were given a VHC sheet with the service it should have the tyre wear measurements .

Normally severe inner wear (inside 10% only) is a camber issue , if it was tracking then it would be gradual over the entire width of the rubber.

A proper alignment check would second on the list , after a new set of tyres.

Kenny

Looks quite extreme wear to me, is this all tyres getting down or just fronts?

I'm no expert but that looks wrong to me and I would expect a more thorough inspection to find out what is happening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just fronts. Rear are down to 2 or 3 mm and have worn evenly. Dealer is refusing to acknowledge there is an issue hence coming on here to see if this is common or not. I've read the wear pattern is most likely due to camber and as it's on both sides I'm struggling to see how on earth I could have knocked both out of alignment by the same amount. I wonder if the car was incorrectly set up from the off. Planning to get alignment checked tomorrow/weekend but unsure if many garages can check camber.

but unsure if many garages can check camber.

Any decent alignment place should provide a printout of all settings on your vehicle.

Armed with the above should make your return visit to the dealer , interesting.

Kenny

You need to get to a garage that uses the hunter alignment system or similar. That way you will find out your current alignment settings.

Looks like you have a lot of negative camber to get that wear.

My car is lowered and running approx. -1.4 camber up front and does not have that kind of wear. Makes me think if your fronts are running over -2.

It's certainly feels like the camber must be high. I'm wondering if that's "just how the car is", if it was built incorrectly or if I could have knocked it out (toe I can understand, thought camber was much harder or impossible to knock out).

Exactly what happened to my 211 at the front. From what I've seen, many MBs suffer the same problem. Get a 'proper' 4 wheel alignment done by someone who knows their stuff.

It's certainly feels like the camber must be high. I'm wondering if that's "just how the car is", if it was built incorrectly or if I could have knocked it out (toe I can understand, thought camber was much harder or impossible to knock out).
FWIW, on every Mercedes-Benz car I've owned (W204, W212 x 3, R171 and R172) wear on the front tyres has been concentrated on the inner shoulders to a greater or lesser extent. All cars had full geometry checks (on Hunter equipment at WIM), and all were bang on the factory specs.

To that extent it is a characteristic of the marque, so you may find nothing wrong if you have a full geometry check. Having said that, the asymmetric wear on yours is more pronounced than I've seen on any of my cars.

In defence of your dealer, as the wear pattern isn't particularly unusual, when they looked at it 6k miles ago the cords wouldn't have been exposed and I wouldn't have expected them to make any particular note about it.

It's going in for full check at an independent on Monday. Sounds like they know their stuff.

My w212 e300 did over 40k on its front with zero abnormal wear. So I'm amazed this has killed it's tyres in half that time. Will see what the alignment shows. If it's in spec I'm going to settle in for a long fight with Mercedes.

worn control arms will do that sort of damage in a few hundred miles.

Hi Proeliator2001
did you finally find a solution? i just had had exact same problem at 45k kms
anyone has alignment specs for a e200d allterrain 2019 r19 wheels?
thanks

I ask because I had this on my previous Run Flats Goodyear on 1 tyre, wheel in motion then did a full check, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

On the German forum there is a whole thread about this exact wear, on Goodyear Run Flats, so more then likely this tyre maybe the issue.

it came with Pirelli-sottozero WINTER!!!... yeah it's strange because here we dont have such winters... actually i just bought regular pirelli zero RF because nobody sells sottozero here in chile
(as you see on image they broke, but took me home 60 kms on that conditions)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 11.07.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-10-24 at 11.07.38.jpeg
    243.1 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom