W215 valve block DIY repair (Surrey/Hampshire)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the88g

Car
'09 CLK320 CDI (W209)
I knew my time would come soon enough!

My car is sagging (mostly the rear) and a Merc indie is saying that it will be £500 + VAT for a second hand replacement, or £1500 for a new part.

I've seen the DIY posts, pictures and helpful YouTube video showing the step by step process of repair but I don't think I'll be able to hack at it myself and the garage isn't willing to do it either - they think it is a waste of time.

Anyone in the Surrey/Hampshire area handy with these valve blocks? Or know an indie that would do it for me? I wouldn't mind the £500 for one, problem is, I think both could probably do with a clean :(

Thanks very much in advance.

Thanks AMGeed.

I spoke to Ollie just now and as much as he was a very helpful guy, he doesn't seem to want to do a valve block rebuild.

Regardless if it may be a waste of time or not, I'd rather try a rebuild than fork out easily over £1k+ (£3k for new parts!)

Perhaps in Buckinghamshire (Northampton, Milton Keynes, etc)?

I think the problem with rebuilding the valve blocks is that it usually just involves replacing the o-rings on the solenoids and since the lock solenoids are metal-to-metal it won't have any effect.

I seem to remember somewhere that the lock solenoids have some internal seals that can't be accessed but I may be imagining things...

It's not hard to DIY... I'd give it a go if I were you!!! Worst that can happen is you get it off the car and find its dead, just order a new one and you will now know how to fit it!!!

Mr Kripling; do you think it isn't worth doing then?

m2287; You make a fair point. I have some time off at Xmas, so I won't need the car then, would be the perfect time to give it a shot :) Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I did mine on my driveway, it didn't solve my problem which turned out to be a faulty level sensor BUT there was some dirt caught in the internal filters.

Not as a code no, the voltage value for that sensor was way out for some reason. My issue was a strange one though, the whole of the drivers side of my car would randomly drop, even when driving, basically that strut going so low was confusing all of the other sensors!!!

If the rear of your car is sagging, I would 90% say its the valve block.

The ABC pumps can also easily be rebuilt, the kit is around £100 from the USA, Ive done a couple now!

You can also easily change the ABC fluid on your drive with just a hose pipe and a mate you trust!!!

Amazing. Thanks for all your input. You've given me confidence in my recent CL purchase. I shall give it a shot when I've got some time off work this December.

Amazing. Thanks for all your input. You've given me confidence in my recent CL purchase. I shall give it a shot when I've got some time off work this December.

No worries, if you aren't sure about anything pop me a message, if I don't know there's some guys on here who have a silly amount of knowledge on these cars!!

Thanks AMGeed.

I spoke to Ollie just now and as much as he was a very helpful guy, he doesn't seem to want to do a valve block rebuild.

Regardless if it may be a waste of time or not, I'd rather try a rebuild than fork out easily over £1k+ (£3k for new parts!)

Perhaps in Buckinghamshire (Northampton, Milton Keynes, etc)?

If I were you I would ask myself why Olly (a man who makes his living maintaining these cars and has a reputation second to none on these forums) doesn't advise on a rebuild.

If I were you I would ask myself why Olly (a man who makes his living maintaining these cars and has a reputation second to none on these forums) doesn't advise on a rebuild.

Maybe it's simply because of the labour costs, it wouldn't be worth him doing?

If you can DIY it maybe worth a shot :dk:

I had to replace my valve block, really annoyed but I had to do it because I was told the the year of my car meant it could not be rebuilt. I new before i bought the car that this could be a problem but banked for it. My car was not even leaning to any side it just had the message on the car dash ABC Malfunction in orange.

I knew my time would come soon enough!

My car is sagging (mostly the rear) and a Merc indie is saying that it will be £500 + VAT for a second hand replacement, or £1500 for a new part.

I've seen the DIY posts, pictures and helpful YouTube video showing the step by step process of repair but I don't think I'll be able to hack at it myself and the garage isn't willing to do it either - they think it is a waste of time.

Anyone in the Surrey/Hampshire area handy with these valve blocks? Or know an indie that would do it for me? I wouldn't mind the £500 for one, problem is, I think both could probably do with a clean :(

Thanks very much in advance.

Why not give MBS in Southampton a call on 02380 445820

Why not give MBS in Southampton a call on 02380 445820
I can refurbish both front and rear valve-blocks for you with correct size 'O' rings using the correct material, provided that there is not pitting or scoring within the blocks itself. If the solenoids are OK, then its very straight forward.
How is your hydraulic fluid? Clean??? If not, you will also need 8-10 litres of CHF11s and two filters. One micron filter for the suspension side and another paper filter for the power steering side. Each valve-block service including removal and fitting takes about 2 1/2 hours. Therefore front and back will take about 5 hours.
If you add the time to flush the system, it is another hour.
Unfortunately, I'm in Oxford and only available weekends. I could get to you thou.
Cleaning fluids and seals for both would only cost about £50.
If you are flushing the hyd oil with 8 litres cost £72 - £80 (10 litres £89 - £100)
Filters (must be from Mercedes only) and they cost about £48 & £12 = £60
Labour and expertise is the main bit (6 hours)
5 hours @ £60 / hr = £300 for both blocks. £360 flush included. Travel cost £??
Hope this gives you an idea :)

crownhouse, I might take you up on that offer and weekends will be good for me too, although the next few are booked up. I'll be in touch. Thank you. The fluid is fairly clean still, I have some reserve hydraulic fluid just in case from Mercedes to compare it to.

maha; What year was it?

Last edited:
When you do want to get it done, have at least 1 liter of CHF11s available.
If your sure that the oil is clean then you do not have to bother about the filter.
As mentioned earlier cleaning fluids and seals for both blocks would only cost £50.
5 hours work on both blocks @£60/hr comes to £300. Travel cost £50, bringing your total cost of refurbishing of both blocks to £400 (working out at £200/block). Email:[email protected]

crownhouse, I might take you up on that offer and weekends will be good for me too, although the next few are booked up. I'll be in touch. Thank you. The fluid is fairly clean still, I have some reserve hydraulic fluid just in case from Mercedes to compare it to.

maha; What year was it?

I believe upto about 2005 they can be repaired, after that the designed changed and you could no longer repair them, only replacement.

Mine 2004 S55 was sagging from the rear corner which would first take a few days if not started and then right down to a few hours.

Along with the help of the US forums and a very knowledgeable mechanic i was able to get mine rebuilt. Several months later while doing some work on the front of my car we did the front block as well. There was nothing wrong with the front one, just as a precaution as it was easily accessible at the time.

I too went around a few garages, a few Mercedes indies and even the main dealers and no one would entertain me on rebuilding it, quoting £1,500+.

In the end this guy said he would be willing to take the risk, but it was a risk and not guaranteed. I thought £250 is a lot better than £1,500+ so i even helped him do it. Many people wont do it as they dont want to take the risk, but what have you got to lose.

£400 later im a very happy bunny with 2 very clean valve blocks. This was about 2 years ago, car has never sank since. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom