W215 - wheels, tyres, offset - opinions, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swotty

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2003 CL600
2003 CL600TT ......... have nice 18" oe Merc Difda wheels in perfect condition but they seem a little small for the car and I need to replace at least 2 tyres, so now is the time to think about the wheels, too.

Have 245/45s on the front and 265/40s on the rear, all 8J, I think.

Car is iridium silver and I'm thinking silver wheels would suit best. Would like to go to 20" (have 20" on my XK and they look great) but have read it compromises the ride on what is a cruiser rather than bruiser (CL55?). It also pushes up the coast of tyres somewhat!:eek:

I've also been trying to find out which offset I need but there's a bewildering range and seemingly no consistency as it depends on wheels and tyre size, so here goes:

Thinking of these 19" staggered wheels:

8.5x19 Inch Front 9.5x19 Inch Rear D-RC DMB Sparkle Silver Alloy Wheels Only, add tyres if required.

Also thinking of Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymmetric tyres

I don't want to foul the bodywork and would like some rim protection from the tyres so, what do you think? Will these fit the car, can I go 255s on the front and 275/285s on the rear without problems ......... and, what is the correct offset? Any suggestions for better tyres to suit the car?

All opinions gladly welcome ......... it's a steep learning curve with this car - the XK is quite straightforward by comparison (have 255s front and 285s rear, staggered set-up) but I absolutely love the Merc ........ although the red ABC warning came on once at startup last week and there's a coolant leak ......... grrrr!:( If it isn't one thing, it's another, but such a great car.

Thanks,

Stuart

p.s. should add I'm a fully paid up Yorkshireman, so want to part with as little cash as possible!

Thanks LM8.

I've seen that chart but am confused by the references to Brabus, Carlsson, AMG etc in the last column.

The front offset ranges from 35 to 44 for 19 x 8.5 and the rear 40 to 46 for 19 x 9.5. I want to avoid bodywork fouling, so which is the correct one?

Is there a large difference between 35 and 44, for example?

Sorry - I just find it so confusing .........

Thanks for replying,

Stuart

Anyone?

Any views on the wheels I've posted? Anyone bought from that company?

What is the difference between an et of 35 and one of 44, please?

Thanks,

Stuart

Thanks LM8.

I've seen that chart but am confused by the references to Brabus, Carlsson, AMG etc in the last column.

The front offset ranges from 35 to 44 for 19 x 8.5 and the rear 40 to 46 for 19 x 9.5. I want to avoid bodywork fouling, so which is the correct one?

Is there a large difference between 35 and 44, for example?

Brabus, Carlsson, AMG, etc, are all brands of wheel. The chart only applies to MB approved wheels. I don't know how you'd check other makes suitability other than by asking the supplier.

I'm no expert but I believe there's no single 'correct' offset as it will depend on the particular wheel design but you would normally aim to get it as close as possible to the original factory fitted wheels. The offset (ET is the German abbreviation I think) is measured in millimetres so the difference between 35 and 44 is 9mm. In other words the wheel will sit 9mm further out (or in) within the wheel arches. Usually a difference of a few mm doesn't matter but I wouldn't like to comment on 9mm on non-approved wheels.
_

Last edited:
Thanks LM8!

I was hoping to find out what the oem factory offset is and it looks like it's an et of 35. Those wheels I've seen have that so I will give the company a call to see what they know. I'm reluctant to vary too much as I would like to go up to 255 fronts and 275 or 285 rears.

Thanks again for replying.

Stuart:thumb:

I had a set of 20" Carlsson ultra light wheels on my previous 2003 CL600. The approved mfr offset was 35. I lowered the car an inch or so with the links and they occasionally rubbed on the rear arches.

I then had a 19" Brabus VI set on my current CL55 and they were fine - no rubbing, even with a lowering module. The offsets were 40mm front, 45 rear.

I now run a set of 19" BBS LM that have 32mm offset all round. Although these are all TUV approved values, with the lowering module my wheels touch the rear arches on road undulations. BBS mentioned that I would need to roll the arches but I just drive on a higher setting and it's fine. 32mm offset is nearly perfect and makes wheels look flush with the body, something I quite like.

Personally, I wouldn't go with 20s as you would find 'cheaper' wheels would be quite heavy and affect how your car accelerates or handles. 19" is the way to go in my opinion, although I want a set of lighter 18s now to further reduce the unsprung weight. These would have to be custom made and will replicate an OEM offset (44, 46mm) to make sure they don't ever rub.

Thanks Alx!

I don't intend to do any lowering and you've confirmed the 20" are too firm, so I agree 19" is the way, to avoid any potential rubbing, as I occasionally have 4-up.

See you went from a '600 to a '55K ............ was the '600 too slow?;)

Stuart

Thanks Alx!

I don't intend to do any lowering and you've confirmed the 20" are too firm, so I agree 19" is the way, to avoid any potential rubbing, as I occasionally have 4-up.

See you went from a '600 to a '55K ............ was the '600 too slow?;)

Stuart

No, not slow at all. I'm a big fan of V12TT and prefer it to 55K but had to sell the 600 due to personal circumstances. I then looked at buying a 65 few months later but never saw the right car and settled on a low mileage and mint 55K. Still miss the V12! ;)

No, not slow at all. I'm a big fan of V12TT and prefer it to 55K but had to sell the 600 due to personal circumstances. I then looked at buying a 65 few months later but never saw the right car and settled on a low mileage and mint 55K. Still miss the V12! ;)

Thanks - the missus doesn't like me going too fast (;)) and the '600 just picks up speed so effortlessly and quietly that I can go much faster than in the XK without her moaning (;) again) ........

......... when I'm not getting a warning message on the dash, that is!

Still giving me around 25 mpg which is excellent for such a big, fast car.

Thanks again for your advice.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom