W219 Sitting High

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dougster CLS

Car
CLS 320CDI
Evening everyone.

I recently changed the front shocks on my CLS 320CDI and now it is sitting significantly higher than it was before, probably by about 40 - 50 mm.

Everything was replaced as it should be (there is not much to get wrong) and it has had a full 4 wheel alignment afterwards that never threw up any issues.

Does anyone have any ideas why this would be? All I can think of is ECP sold me the wrong shocks, everything fitted together with no problems at the time.

Any help appreciated.

Dougster

Doug It can take a few days to settle after this kind of surgery. Give it a few days and some driving time. Assuming that you have everything in order. , Cups, springs etc. Not sure on your car. In a BMW I did recently. The shocks were held in the hub by pinch bolts. I had to measure against the old ones. It still sat high for around five days. Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

I thought that at first but after a couple of months it hasn't moved.

The shocks just bolt onto the bottom arm, there is no scope for it to be in the wrong place.

Well I could only guess that the shocks are wrong then.

As you say: there is nothing else to alter the height?

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

The E class shocks have a couple of possible lower spring cup positions, perhaps the CLS is the same?

The shocks shouldn`t dictate ride height , that is the job of the spring unless the CLS has adjustable spring platforms as mentioned previously.

Did you replace the spring at the same time or did you refit the original spring to the new shock ?

Mine has around 25 - 30 mm from the arch to the tyre.

Kenny

Last edited:
Old springs on the new shocks. There was a new spring cup provided with the shocks but I just threw it on and didn't pay it much attention.

Looks like the first thing to investigate.

Old springs on the new shocks. There was a new spring cup provided with the shocks but I just threw it on and didn't pay it much attention.

Looks like the first thing to investigate.

As above though...it is the springs ONLY which determine ride height. So the cups must have been a different height or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom