W219 Wood removal help!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover / s212
Hi guys,

I'd like to know if anyone has taken all the wood out to have work done to it, and how to do it please?

It's mainly the rear part and big slab I need to know how to take off.

Many thanks in advance!

Done all mine.

By rear part you mean the rear centre console with the slatted lids? From memory there's two bolts inside the armrest cubby and one at the front of the large rear compartment. Pull up like you really mean it at the front to detach it from the front console and then disconnect the wiring underneath before lifting the whole thing out and then disassembling from underneath.

To remove the dash panel you first need to remove the passenger side and centre air vents, both removable with proper or DIY coat hanger pullers, the passenger ones are buggers to get out and is why you'll see nearly every one on ebay has one of both clips broken off. Then remove the instrument surround which is most easily done by flexing it up at the bottom to clip a clip and then getting your finger nails into the gap and pulling straight forward. In the resulting holes you'll find the six screws holding the panel in. Once you got it partly out you'll need to detach the cables for the aircon controls before you can remove it fully. Be warned, brackets the screw go through are quite sharp metal and you could easily scratch the pleather or any plastic trim pulling it out.

b1g1an said:
Done all mine. By rear part you mean the rear centre console with the slatted lids? From memory there's two bolts inside the armrest cubby and one at the front of the large rear compartment. Pull up like you really mean it at the front to detach it from the front console and then disconnect the wiring underneath before lifting the whole thing out and then disassembling from underneath. To remove the dash panel you first need to remove the passenger side and centre air vents, both removable with proper or DIY coat hanger pullers, the passenger ones are buggers to get out and is why you'll see nearly every one on ebay has one of both clips broken off. Then remove the instrument surround which is most easily done by flexing it up at the bottom to clip a clip and then getting your finger nails into the gap and pulling straight forward. In the resulting holes you'll find the six screws holding the panel in. Once you got it partly out you'll need to detach the cables for the aircon controls before you can remove it fully. Be warned, brackets the screw go through are quite sharp metal and you could easily scratch the pleather or any plastic trim pulling it out.

Brilliant, thank you! Sounds like a mission but I'll give it a go when I get it back!

Currently in Newquay airport waiting to go and collect it.

Brilliant, thank you! Sounds like a mission but I'll give it a go when I get it back!

Currently in Newquay airport waiting to go and collect it.

No probs, if you need to know anything else just shout. Best advice is just to take it really slow.

Point to note for pre facelift cars, there are two more hidden screws under the gloss box opening.

T25 torx needed.

No broken clips for me luckily. All out now and delivered to the body shop

Attachments

• image-2191415701.jpg
    image-2191415701.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 39
Looking a bit minging now

Attachments

• image-1715688638.jpg
    image-1715688638.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 40
I honestly hate the wood, it stands out for all wrong reasons! Especially against the black leather.

Attachments

• image-2112442779.jpg
    image-2112442779.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
Soon to look classy with the piano black

Attachments

• image-2368333893.jpg
    image-2368333893.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 31
CLSMark said:
Looking forward to seeing it. When you getting it back? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friday most likely... paid a little extra to have it finished for this week. Hopefully get the exhaust done too in time for a trip to Cheshire this weekend

So happy with the outcome gents. Money well spent!

Attachments

• image-3630381533.jpg
    image-3630381533.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 44
Thanks to all for their advice... it was spot on and very helpful! Especially big thanks to B1g1an!

Attachments

• image-1007084135.jpg
    image-1007084135.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 39
Mactech said:
Depends on what you think looks good;) I really liked the wood in my CLS...... https://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members/mactech-albums-mactech-cls-picture2363-frontseats.jpg I've had a number of cars with the piano black (real and fake!) and I always think it just looks a bit....well...plasticy:doh: But I also know I'll be in the minority.

Certainly is each to their own. To me the wood looks cheap and tacky. My Range Rover had lovely piano black interior and I think the stitched leather seats it off perfectly.

Everyone who's seen it in person thinks it's updated the interior by years. But if you like wood in your car, I could understand that.

Yes, it's just a personal taste thing. I thought my Range Rover looked really nice with old style real tree wood!

Attachments

• DSC00362.jpg
    DSC00362.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 14
The piano black looks fantastic.. well done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom