w220 S320 CDI Gearbox fault? Metal in oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka$h

MB Enthusiast
Car
Anything with a 3 Pointed Star!
I recently found and bought a S320 cdi for a family friend. I went with him to Leeds to pick the car up. I test drove it and all seemed well. 45 minutes into the drive home the was a vibration through the car, felt like driving over cats eyes.

This became more frequent as the journey went on. The vibration was getting more and more noticeable. The vibration occurred when cruising at a steady speed or very light acceleration, but not during kick down or hard acceleration.

From the above it seemed similar to the issue on the w203 and w211 a dodgy Valeo rad, and contaminated fluid. The car is a 04 plate and does not have a shared rad, so contamination was not the cause.

The symptoms indicated a failed torque converter, and I then asked my local Indy to have that looked at.

Upon draining the fluid there were some metal particles in the fluid. The torque converter has been sent for reconditioning but I'm concerned about the metal particles in the oil. The company rebuilding the torque converter suggest the box has a mechanical fault. The car had no faults stored in relation to the gearbox when put on diagnosis.

What to do next?

I would get a second opinion to check the car through and through.

I have the same vibration at very low revs when the torque convertor locks up close to idling. When full inspection was completed, it was diganosis as a worn and imbalanced propshaft coupling at both the gearbox and the rear differential ends.

Get a glycol test done on the gearbox oil. You may be needing a radiator as well ..

Get a glycol test done on the gearbox oil. You may be needing a radiator as well ..

No need as it has a separate cooler for the box and does not use the radiator.

Are there filings in the box sump pan?

If there are its is the beginings of a knackered 'box. Its replacement or re-con really.

Sorry , I beg to differ. I have done one. The gearbox oil cooler is built into the radiator. The pipes should also be flushed as well.

Are there filings in the box sump pan?

If there are its is the beginings of a knackered 'box. Its replacement or re-con really.

Yes it did have filings in the sump, Ive had the box rebuilt and it was worn washers and clutches.

Sorry , I beg to differ. I have done one. The gearbox oil cooler is built into the radiator. The pipes should also be flushed as well.

Ive checked on EPC my car does not have a shared rad, its possible earlier models did.

p.s. who did you buy from in leeds? i buy a lot of cars from leeds way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom