W220 Turbo/Black Smoke/Exhaust leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

design guru

Car
2001 W220 Mercedes S320cdi & 2001 W208 CLK230K (SORN since 2008)
I have a 2001 S320cdi W220 and for a while I have had a slight exhaust leak in he area of the turbo.

I removed the engine covers, air filter housing and the connecting pipes and the front of the turbo was covered in a thick layer of soot. It seems the leak is somewhere under the turbo as the pipes linking to the air filter housing are all fine with no splits including the oil breather pipe. I checked the manifold and there are no cracks and also started the car and the smoke is definitely coming from under the turbo, I had a feel around and I can't feel any cracks of obvious gaps where the turbo clamps to the manifold.

I cleaned the area and also checked the wastegate lever was moving as I often still get a cloud of smoke when I kick down and accelerate when I am driving. I did not check the intercooler to see if oil had entered the chamber which people have said can cause the smoke but I was not sure where it connects.

There is obviously a leak somewhere as I get a slight hiss when I press and release the accelerator, but is not in the intake or breaker pipes located at the top near the air filter.

Does anyone have a diagram of the layout below the turbo of the pipes and where the intercooler connects and would the turbo need to be removed from the manifold to access the pipes or should I be able to get to them from below the car?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom