W221 Audio Interference Weird Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveG_UK

Car
W221 S320CDI
Apologies for raising my head only when I have a problem - but I've never had anything useful to add to any other posts:dk:
In every thread I could find even close to this - most refer to replacing the Linguatronic module but since I don't have Linguatronic that's hardly relevant.
I'm loathe to take it into the dealers since I think they're going to struggle and charge me fortunes for stuff I don't need.

Here's the history:

About 6 weeks ago, turned on radio - radio played but massive interference. Same with Nav and MP3.
Pulled up, engine off, restart - everything fine.
About 3 weeks ago couldn't get in car - key fob achieved nothing. Manual key wouldn't open driver's door but did open boot - and set the alarm off. Now fob cancelled alarm and opened doors.
Tried to start car - all displays went blank. Turned off, tried again - everything on and car started. Came back to car after (short) journey, fob opened car but start attempt gives blank display and no start. Turn off, second attempt all's well and car starts. Got home and called out Roadside Assist. Diags only reveal 'Low Battery - recharge'. He attaches my battery charger which I leave on trickle for two days. Since then no problems opening or starting car (this whole bit about the battery being low may be irrelevant).
But since then the massive audio interference problem has reappeared and is now permanent.
Sometimes the FM display on radio is screwed up, sometimes there's no sound at all. AM, LW and SW always display OK (but still interference).
Decided to check batteries this morning. Consumer battery just over 12v on load. Both Consumer and Starter batteries show about 12.5v off load (disconnected).
With consumer battery disconnected I, just for the hell of it, tried the radio. All audio works perfectly. Reconnect consumer battery - massive interference. Disconnect consumer again just to check - and yes, audio perfect.
Tried it the other way round. Connected consumer battery and disconnected starter battery. All I get then is massive interference with no sound from any audio source.
Disconnected both batteries for ½hr to see if Comand might reset.
Reconnect - exactly the same problems as before.
Don't know why but I looked in vehicle settings.
If I go: Vehicle Settings -> System Settings -> Reset
Audio works perfectly (but I have to change back from German etc etc.)
Switch off and back on - audio screwed again.
The reset route consistently makes things right again - but a little tedious every time I want to use the car:doh:
I've been suspicious about the consumer battery going back to gearbox selector problems I had a couple of years ago (sorted by selector plate replacement). But all checks, including Star Diags say that the battery's OK.
Any of you Gurus got the faintest idea what might be going on?

Thanks

Steve

Well weird. Any way of trying a different battery ?

Is the same noise occuring with the ignition off (i.e engine not running) (just wondering about the voltage regulator on the alternator).

Otherwise, sounds like a *very wierd* issue with your AGW (i.e the thing that contains the amplifier and the tuner).

Do you have Harmon Kardon sound system ? (much more expensive AGW :-( )

R

Oh no! If it's got you stumped Richard I guess I'm in deep doo doo :(
I've just rung dealer and asked for price on a new battery - I don't have anything kicking around I could try. If (when) he comes back with an outlandish price I'll ring round a few pals and see if they've got anything I could borrow.
It's the same noise whether or not the engine's running.
I don't know what the 'Reset' thing actually does (other than the language goes back to German and the MB logo pops up). If it really does restart Comand it seems to me it has a flavour of the system not initialising correctly at switch on. If that guess is correct then could the battery have a weird transient sag at switch on that injects noise into the comms? (I'm an electronics/computer guy - not an auto guy). I guess I could stick a 'scope on it and look.
Trying another battery must be easiest.
I've just zero confidence that dealers will sort this though. Or at least they'll just keep replacing stuff like the AGW (and yes, it is the HK surround setup) until the problem (and all my money) goes away.
I started looking for a facelift W221 a couple of months ago but decided spending a load of cash wouldn't get me a nicer car. Wish I'd done it now :(
Thanks anyhow for the response - I'll post back with the solution when I find it!

Steve

Sorry to say I'm reporting back - but not with a solution.
It fixed itself about a fortnight ago before I even had chance to try a spare battery.
Did wonder if it was to do with ambient temperatures but we've had the odd cold morning since it sorted itself and it's been fine.
If/when it goes again I'll update.
Thanks
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom