W221 through Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graeme_m

Car
W221 S63 AMG
Picked up my 2012 W221 S63 today, just one small problem - can't get the grin off my face; is there a medical term of "grinnitus"?

A couple other questions - has anyone attached a French or Portuguese toll transponder to an athermic windscreen, I can't see where to fit it, even though I have looked at the manual.

Secondly, I always used to carry a set of spare light bulbs, I don't think this is compulsory, but what is current situation with Xenon or LED bulbs?

Finally, I think that this has an NTG3.5 COMAND system - how can I tell which version maps are on the system and does this have to updated through a dealer.

Thanks, all

Lovely car, well done. Remember to post some photos.

Regarding the toll tag, do you have any shaded area around your rear view mirror? If so you'll be fine. We don't on a car we'll take to Europe soon, so my tags are stuck to the plastic RVM mount - member have managed fine, so fingers crossed!

Picked up my 2012 W221 S63 today, just one small problem - can't get the grin off my face; is there a medical term of "grinnitus"?

A couple other questions - has anyone attached a French or Portuguese toll transponder to an athermic windscreen, I can't see where to fit it, even though I have looked at the manual.

Secondly, I always used to carry a set of spare light bulbs, I don't think this is compulsory, but what is current situation with Xenon or LED bulbs?

Finally, I think that this has an NTG3.5 COMAND system - how can I tell which version maps are on the system and does this have to updated through a dealer.

Thanks, all

Congrats on the car! Looking forward to the pics as well

For the maps version I checked mine today (W222 so maybe this will be different on your W221) via COMAND > Navi , then bottom screen menu to Options or Settings (can't recall which) and the an option at the bottom of the menu, that then displays the maps version.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

If you go to your manual and look under windscreen ( infrared reflecting ) it will advise.

so my tags are stuck to the plastic RVM mount

How daft am I? Just because all the pretty pictures show the tags flat against the screen, it didn't really occur to me that they can be at any angle, ie horizontal, vertical, pointing at screen from RVM, etc.

I have looked at the screen and there doesn't appear to be any shaded area around it to attach these to, so RVM is looking like a good bet.

Cheers!

You don't have a Owners Manual then ?:confused:

You don't have a Owners Manual then ?:confused:

For some reason, the dealer appears to have mislaid the manual and although he has said he will supply one, I don't immediately have it to hand.

Thank goodness for the internet and forums such as these.....:)

For some reason, the dealer appears to have mislaid the manual and although he has said he will supply one, I don't immediately have it to hand.

Thank goodness for the internet and forums such as these.....:)
Did you get a manual for your W221? Here's a 2010 (USA) I've got one for the later model and it's mostly the same as the online version from Mercedes UK.
https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/2010_s_class.pdf

Did you get a manual for your W221? Here's a 2010 (USA) I've got one for the later model and it's mostly the same as the online version from Mercedes UK.

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the 2012 manual from MBUSA, which covers most things and I am slowly working through this. Still having a problem setting the parking mirror, which doesn't seem to respond to the instructions and don't even get me started on rear seat entertainment/TV. (Grandchildren getting impatient :doh:)

Nice pics of yours in the Ardennes, how's the detailing holding up?

Thanks for that. I've downloaded the 2012 manual from MBUSA, which covers most things and I am slowly working through this. Still having a problem setting the parking mirror, which doesn't seem to respond to the instructions and don't even get me started on rear seat entertainment/TV. (Grandchildren getting impatient :doh:)

Nice pics of yours in the Ardennes, how's the detailing holding up?
Thanks, the Ardennes are lovely this time of year. Not dramatic scenery, but very pleasing hilly, forested countryside.

The detailing is holding up well, thanks. I've not added any products to the paintwork at all and after a wash it and the wheels are coming up really well. The day out on the warmest day brought loads of insects marks which some are surprisingly stubborn to jet spray off. Intermediate washes I just do with jet water and dry off with a microfibre cloth.

Graeme, I'm glad you mentioned the parking mirrors, because I'd totally forgotten about this feature on my car! The manual showed me how to set it and it's now working perfectly . Should help with preventing kerbing, handy in the narrow streets here.

Hoping to get mine detailed in the next couple of weeks, keep that black paint nice and shiny! On the plus side, you only get lots of insect marks in warm weather.

Mirrors still not working, trip to dealers needed for examination.

As for narrow streets, you should try Lisbon or even worse, Porto.

Welcome and nice car but. . . . .

:ttiuwp

Matt :thumb:

Pics posted in general forum "you show me yours...", but here again because I like looking at them :bannana:

Attachments

• W221_1.jpg
    W221_1.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 28
  • W221_2.jpg
    W221_2.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 29
  • W221_3.jpeg
    W221_3.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 29
Lovely car, well done. Remember to post some photos.

Regarding the toll tag, do you have any shaded area around your rear view mirror? If so you'll be fine. We don't on a car we'll take to Europe soon, so my tags are stuck to the plastic RVM mount - member have managed fine, so fingers crossed!

I can confirm that it works fine stuck to the RVM mount in our car at least :thumb:

I can confirm that it works fine stuck to the RVM mount in our car at least :thumb:

Thanks, BD. Having looked again at my windscreen, there is an area of glass just below the mirror/sensor housing which appears to be clear glass (ie not athermic), approx. 2" x 3", so I am going to try that on my next trip.

I notice also (damn this internet) that in America, they use a type of Velcro strip at attach their EZ Toll pass - I might investigate that on the bottom of the mirror housing, as an alternative.

Unfortunately, next planned trip is not for a few months, so will have to be content grinning like a loon whilst driving around the Home Counties for a while :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom