W246 Noise and slight vibration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scania144420

Car
B Class
Hi

We have had our B180 SE for just over a month and it has been back to the dealer a few times with vibration issues around 70mph.

They first of all found the tracking to be out and gave me the car back and the issue was still there next time I went along the motorway, so back we went again and this time they have replaced all the wheels from another B Class, but I think the issue is still there very slightly, the service department are saying this is how a B class feels at speed but not sure if they are trying to fob me off, has anyone else had this problem and found a fix to it or not ?? also the road noise seems quite loud on certain road surfaces the tyres fitted are Michelin and continentals.

Thanks for any help
Tony

I have B180 Sport and I can't say I feel much vibrations at all at high speed. As it is a sport, the suspension is a tiny bit stiff but overall, everything is very smooth and I definitely do not feel any sort of vibrations coming from the wheel.

When you drive, do you find that the car pulls to one side?

As for road noise - I do feel there is some sounds. It all depends on the tyres you have, I've got Continentals and one Dunlop (I know I know... need to change the front sets to match!)

Our B200 SE is smooth all the way up to well above the UK speed limit, with no vibrations at all, so don't get fobbed off with the usual "they all do that, sir". If its not the wheels, then maybe a front wheel bearing is on the way out.

The factory-fitted Michelins are reasonably quiet most of the time, but it does depends on the road surface - concrete being the worst. Some roads we've used recently have become exceptionally quiet, but that's probably due to the type of tarmac they're using to resurface urban motorways these days.

Do you have an Independent that can check out a few things for us please?

1/ Check your tyres and rotate front to back Left to right and note if there's any improvement.. look for bulges or uneven wear etc. also have them rebalanced and witness them being zeroed! I had a dealer fit 4 new tyres and balanced and it was one of THE most terrifying journeys ever to Manchester from Glasgow.. turns out that the "Fitter" hadn't bothered to remove the old weights and just stuck new weights on top of the old and said that I was imagining things.... took it to an independent that p!ssed himself laughing at the mess that I was left with.. One rebalance later and all was well, so don't take the dealers opinion as 100% correct...

2/ Get the car up off the deck and have a good look around... pay attention to all bushing for flexing or perishing and movement,

3/ Check Wheel bearings and I mean throughly, yes - we all know they drone when wearing, but not necessarily - I had two on a Passat that created the same symptom as you are experiencing but were perfect under test.. and the same comment was also made " They all do that.." No they don't! It may be at your expense to change them...

4/ Changed the wheels recently? Done the brakes?? Make sure that the hubs are properly cleaned and the wheel is sitting on the hub properly, dirt & grime on the hub can cause the wheel not to seat right and create the wobble...

Just some food for thought really.....

Thanks very much for all the replies, I am going to get a friend to look at the car who runs his own mobile mechanic business, as the latest from the dealer in Stoke was it is a used car so things will happen and it is a B Class I blew my top at them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom