W639 2.2CDI 2004 Viano auto gear box question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Savaloy30

Car
Viano
Hi, I'm new to mercedes and just as new to this forum, I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help.
The auto box that is fitted has the option to change gears like a manual, (tiptronic) I have found when I go up the gears it only goes to fourth on the dash and I hear 4 gear changes but when I'm in auto I hear it change gear five times. Is this normal.
The gear change is really smooth and the van has only got 54000 miles on the clock.
Hopefully someone can advise.
Many thanks
Si

Hello and welcome to the forum.

When in 'manual mode', do you get an indicator window that shows what gear you are in? Mine shows gears one through five with the gear selected highlighted.

And it won't let me go into 4th, for example, unless I am going fast enough.

Hi and thanks for the welcome, if I select manual it will display 1 through to 4 on the indicater window when at the correct speed for that gear. You say yours goes up to 5, mine only goes to fourth and the into d for drive. However if I stay in auto mode I can count 5 gear changes as it goes up through the box.
All gear changes are really smooth up and down the gears

I think 1-2-3-4-D is the way it works. Can't recall ever seeing "5" on my Vito or E-Class estates.
However, my 6-speed Sprinter was a "Sprintshift" gearbox (similar to Tiptronic but actually called Manutronic - I know they can't reach the top 4 this year!) and I seem to recall seeing "6" when in manual mode.

Many thanks ringway, puts my mind at rest, having moved from bmw tiptronic which shows all the gears I was starting to worry.
Thanks to everyone

Many thanks ringway, puts my mind at rest, having moved from bmw tiptronic which shows all the gears I was starting to worry.
Thanks to everyone

Stick around. There's a fair few Vito owners on MBClub who are always willing to offer advice. :thumb:

Mines a 2007 Viano, it goes 1-2-3-4-D. I have never counted the gear changes, but I will now.

Welcome.

Ringway is correct (as is ^^^Bladgb) and my memory is pitiful.

When in manual, gears one through to four are shown and when you go from fourth 'up' to where fifth would be, the box goes into D in auto mode.

Sorry……of to stand in the corner with my Dunce hat on.

Last edited:
Guys thank you for helping me out, nice to see a helpful community. I'm sure I will have further questions later but for now thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom