Warning. You may see one of these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My God is nothing sacred?
_98658378_mediaitem98658377.jpg

Pah!

004.JPG

I've always stayed away from soft tops in general because I don't like the look of any of them, at least I've not seen any that wouldn't be improved by putting a roof on.

The point is that soft-tops are bought by shallow posers that want everyone to look at them. Nothing wrong with that, so long as they accept that's what they are.

They also appear to have too much money. Why can't they sniff it up their noses like all the other overpaid people? At least when jammed in the toilet cubicle, we won't have to look at them...

Anyone offended by this, I didn't mean you.
Now i'm offended.

Lets see how many people can be offended by this post, hands up!

It was amusing when one of the dealers we work for had a stand at the Royal Welsh show and took a selection of models to show. Someone decided the Evoque convert was just the thing to sell to Welsh farmers! Biggest complaint was that they couldn't get a bale of straw in it .

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

That Rolex with the "bit of Titanic bolted-on is the most unpleasant thing I've seen al day, and I've been to Sutton!

You hadn't seen a Range Rover Evoque today, then...

The whole point of starting this sort of thread is to allow others to comment; inevitably, some of those comments will be unfavourable. Mercedes owners in general don't seem to be keen on flashy, in-your-face cars, so in general will comment unfavourably.

We have good taste; the owners of such devices have bad taste, but think we have bad taste. Both views are correct.

Oh, and I see referring to expensive up-market car makes as 'marques' as distinctly snobby and elitist. Especially when it's the marqueting gimmick of a second-hand car dealer who would perhaps prefer to be described as a retailer - nay, a purveyor - of pre-owned marques of distinction...

Last edited:
The whole point of starting this sort of thread is to allow others to comment; inevitably, some of those comments will be unfavourable. Mercedes owners in general don't seem to be keen on flashy, in-your-face cars.......

No of course they're not....

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/legacy/static/drive/099v2.jpg?token=1497899430

https://i1.wp.com/autochunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Gold-wrapped-Mercedes-S500.jpg?resize=550,297

https://www.driving.co.uk/s3/st-driving-prod/uploads/2015/07/merc-g-63-amg-6x6.png

You reinforce my point very well; thank you.

The point is that soft-tops are bought by shallow posers that want everyone to look at them. Nothing wrong with that, so long as they accept that's what they are.

They also appear to have too much money. Why can't they sniff it up their noses like all the other overpaid people? At least when jammed in the toilet cubicle, we won't have to look at them...

Anyone offended by this, I didn't mean you.

Oh Bugger! I'll have to get rid of the XK, then; it's giving the game away every time I drive it...

It was amusing when one of the dealers we work for had a stand at the Royal Welsh show and took a selection of models to show. Someone decided the Evoque convert was just the thing to sell to Welsh farmers! Biggest complaint was that they couldn't get a bale of straw in it .

Sent from my SM-T365 using Tapatalk

Its evidently why the farmers loved the Subaru pickup truck or Brumby as they were known "down under" . Unlike its jacked up brethern the Subaru had a nice low load bed- so not such a lift to get straw bales or the odd lambing sheep into if you had a bad back. --- 4wd motoring at the sharp end!
1920px-1989_Subaru_Brumby_utility_%282010-05-19%29_02.jpg

Just came across this on another forum the 2017 Honda Civic Coupe.
my18_civic2D_hero_desktop.jpg

my18_civic2D_highlights_desktop-01.jpg

Styling detail that looks slightly crass on the UK saloon looks OK on its North American 2door coupe sibling?

Rather weedy, old-tech V6, though; same power output as an old Rover 827 I had had at least a decade earlier. If the Hyundai Coupe Mk III had had a decently-powerful engine, they'd have sold them by the boatload; it certainly looked the part in its day.

On the theme of simple elegance, I mentioned this earlier
Hyundai~Coupe~(2).jpg

Fabulous, understated elegance..... only undermined by the underpinnings which, TBH, are at least a decade out of date.

But certainly an elegant external shell, and fabulous value for money.

As I said back in my "Rolex" post, there are many more motivations for purchase than the obvious. The Hyundai is an excellent example of an elegant, absolute value for money car.

I like them.... But I've my own opinion and really don't give a damn what others think.
I'd roll one any time and be proud to have achieved a stature in my life to be able to afford one.

I remember the day I bought a £120 morris marina.... Once you forget where you've come from you've lost,unless you were born with the proverbial silver spoon.

I really hate threads like this, it makes people sound snobby and elitist.

Don't have to have much to afford a fancy car these days - lease it drive it for 3 years and give it back, the kids may not get what they need and you my have to buy more Maccers meals instead healthy stuff, or skip Ibiza for a year or three, but hey ho you have a flash car.......Loads of low lives running around in fancy cars these days......what you drive has no reflection on how hard you have worked......

No I don't, they're aren't the kind of thing I'd buy, but neither are sporty 4 door salons or coupès.

But because it's not a mercedes it's up for ridicule to an extreme extent.

I just think it's wrong to do that.... Yes so it's not for certain people, I get that, but neither is an A class or an R class or God forbid a cla!!

Just Because we drive Mercedes which is a top end marque I don't agree with looking down on other vehicles in a derogatory light.

I think that the RR (£80k+ version) drivers probably think the same about Merc drivers ;-). The Evoque is a wannabe!

The Evoque is a wannabe!

Especially the convertible Evoque, but one might suppose that drivers of those don't wannabee what many people will think they are when they see them driving one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom