Warning. You may see one of these.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Hyundai Coupe Mk III is styled like a a "sports car", therefore the vast majority of its owners would have bought it thinking it's a sports car.

But it's NOT a sports car, it can't be anything approaching a sports car with wrong-wheel-drive. It's just a saloon with no room in the back.

It's the worst kind of dishonesty on the part of the manufacturers (and Hyundai are not alone), a car cynicaly aimed at a specific demographic who are unlikely to find out the truth until it's too late. We all know most manufacturers are in the business of making money first and selling cars second, but it's about time some honestly crept into their glossy adverts.

That being said, I think it looks quite nice ...

No, sir, we've talked about this before.....only the French buy French cars.

The French car industry would have collapsed decades ago if it wasn't for its virtual monopoly of the French market and its more recent acquisition of 43% of Nissan, which has enabled it to escape it's EU straitjacket, where sales are on the floor and costs have hit the ceiling,

Plus being part owned by the French government , paid for by taxes taken from French people....

So here is the thing; When I am thinking bout purchasing a car, or clothes, shoes, personal effects that will be seen on or around me? I always have a mental picture of what I will look like and try to make it fit what I would want to look like. I was once (and this is true) banned from having a Canary Yellow BMW M3, which I had ordered on our company car scheme. This was on the basis that my boss thought it was not the image "he" wanted the company to portray. He was OK with the M3 just not the colour. So I changed the order to Boston Green and always hated the car as I never felt it was "right" for me.

I would guess that when people order a "different" looking car, they do so as they want to look different and have that same mental picture process going on, at the time of order.

Appearance is what most will see before they look anywhere else, be that a car, a haircut, suit or whatever. It is us. So If you want people to see as a the Bright Copper, Top Down, Range Rover Evoque Driver then fine? Who cares? I don't. It doesn't tell me what I really might want to know, but it tells me somethng about when you ordered that car that you thought it suited you.

I think you're over-intellectualising it somewhat. If you drive around in a copper-coloured Evoque with the top down, most people will think you're a bit of a t1t. End of story...

I think you're over-intellectualising it somewhat. If you drive around in a copper-coloured Evoque with the top down, most people will think you're a bit of a t1t. End of story...
End of story?

Really?

Please make it so.

They'll look great with those brothel creepers that you have.

Yes. I struggle to think of what I was taking when I made that purchase? But I do like them as a piece of art. Mrs M has adopted a "walk five steps behind" if I try and wear them when out in her company.

We decided that after a string of boring silver/grey cars for SWMBO that the next one would be a bit more vivid, I think we hit the brief. I'm not sure if I like it yet and I'm glad i don't have to drive it daily.

DOCM6blW0AAMR_3.jpg-large.jpg

I think that the RR (£80k+ version) drivers probably think the same about Merc drivers ;-). The Evoque is a wannabe!
Well isn't that interesting, here is my first Range Rover followed by my 2nd, the 2nd cost an awful lot more than the first. To cap it all is my current Mercedes which being a convertible makes me a poser rather than coke sniffer I guess, I must be a lost cause! Incidentally the Vogue was a nice comfy wafter but drove like a London bus, the Evoque more of a drivers car but lacking refinement or performance..
cc8b8a3e4bceb4b044282b4fdc3aad74.jpg
2061889df7944c70145fcfeab96f69b7.jpg
5a9ab355e425691ef23c0621d4c63be3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Well isn't that interesting, here is my first Range Rover followed by my 2nd, the 2nd cost an awful lot more than the first. To cap it all is my current Mercedes which being a convertible makes me a poser rather than coke sniffer I guess, I must be a lost cause! Incidentally the Vogue was a nice comfy wafter but drove like a London bus, the Evoque more of a drivers car but lacking refinement or performance..

Shows your taste is improving as you get older - moving from Rover to Merc. ;-)

Your merc has the same wheels as mine :)
Personally i am not a fan of the evoque convertible, i would never go out and buy 1. But there must be plenty folk that do otherwise they wouldnt have made 1 and if it makes them happy good for them. But speaking about ugly land/range rovers have you seen what they have done to the back of the new ones (not the velar) with the squinty number plate :eek:, that is truly fugly

Shows your taste is improving as you get older - moving from Rover to Merc. ;-)
I had a W124 E220 in 1997 and a CLK320 in 2006, followed by Jaguar, Range Rover and Lexus so have come back to the fold really. As for taste I needed the convertible before my hair falls out and I just become another bauld convertible driver (have you noticed the majority of convertible owners are follickly challenged):).

I had a W124 E220 in 1997 and a CLK320 in 2006, followed by Jaguar, Range Rover and Lexus so have come back to the fold really. As for taste I needed the convertible before my hair falls out and I just become another bauld convertible driver (have you noticed the majority of convertible owners are follickly challenged):).

Yep.. mine is falling out......but I don't care what people think ;-)

Brucemillar
Maybe your boss had justification to not allow that yellow BMW purchase--he saw this BMW advert.
Did the company have any Italian/ Sicilian clients?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Dennis
aka Tuercas viejas

Different folks, different strokes

its definitely not for me though

I've always stayed away from soft tops in general because I don't like the look of any of them, at least I've not seen any that wouldn't be improved by putting a roof on.

The point is that soft-tops are bought by shallow posers that want everyone to look at them. Nothing wrong with that, so long as they accept that's what they are.

Anyone offended by this, I didn't mean you.
I've no idea what you are saying here, I bought my Passion Red (yes, that's the official name!!) Volvo C70 folding hardtop, with cream leather interior for the simple reason I wanted to melt into the crowd and not stand out.......

Not sure I succeeded though.

More seriously, this is about the fourth convertible I've had over the years, the first metal top one, and as such IMO it looks 'right' whether the top's up or down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom